Uronema

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had 6 chromis is qt and 4 of them died what I suspect from Uronema. I have a hippo tang and clown fish in the same tank. I have been dosing metroplex (double the suggested dose) for a week and they are in .50 of copper. When can I be certain that Uronema is gone and I can add the fish to my DT?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had 6 chromis is qt and 4 of them died what I suspect from Uronema. I have a hippo tang and clown fish in the same tank. I have been dosing metroplex (double the suggested dose) for a week and they are in .50 of copper. When can I be certain that Uronema is gone and I can add the fish to my DT?

I would move them to a sterile observation tank after they have been in fully therapeutic copper for 14 days. Run metro for 10 days.

Observe them for 2 more weeks to make sure they are clean post treatment.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move them to a sterile observation tank after they have been in fully therapeutic copper for 14 days. Run metro for 10 days.

Observe them for 2 more weeks to make sure they are clean post treatment.
Thanks

rizkisofani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch uronema is pain. I fought uronema before, i used metronidazole 500mg/30 gallons , a local "reef safe" remedy (4ich infect-o) and a "herbal" flakes (infect-o) at my DT full of softies lps sps. I lost 2 fish wild caught ocellaris and a percula but i saved 5 fish platinum ocellaris, green wrase, black ocellaris, false gramma, and blue tang fish (dori). Good luck!

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all my chromis died due to uronema :( but i have 2 other fish in the same qt (hippo tang and a clown fish) what do i do with them? They r doing fine and eating like a pig i did 14 days of metro and metro laced food but it did not help the chromis. R these fish forever carriers of the disease?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all my chromis died due to uronema :( but i have 2 other fish in the same qt (hippo tang and a clown fish) what do i do with them? They r doing fine and eating like a pig i did 14 days of metro and metro laced food but it did not help the chromis. R these fish forever carriers of the disease?

I’m sorry to hear about your losses. @HotRocks and @4FordFamily have successfully treated Uronema and moved fish into display tanks.
If it were me I would probably repeat the 14 days of Metro from the time the last Chromis was removed but let’s see what they say.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear about your losses. @HotRocks and @4FordFamily have successfully treated Uronema and moved fish into display tanks.
If it were me I would probably repeat the 14 days of Metro from the time the last Chromis was removed but let’s see what they say.
I agree. Once showing symptoms uronema is very tough to beat. They must eat medicated food and be treated with metro for the full 10-14 days. I shoot for 14.

Do you have carbon, poly fiber media, a skimmer, or anything else that may remove meds?

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Once showing symptoms uronema is very tough to beat. They must eat medicated food and be treated with metro for the full 10-14 days. I shoot for 14.

Do you have carbon, poly fiber media, a skimmer, or anything else that may remove meds?
I am running a 10 gal tank with a HOB filter and a wavemaker. Rite now they r in copper and all the chromis died. All i have is a clown and small hippo tang. I have a ammnoina badge as well.
Should i put in a sterile tank and then treat with metro again for 14 days?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a 10 gal tank with a HOB filter and a wavemaker. Rite now they r in copper and all the chromis died. All i have is a clown and small hippo tang. I have a ammnoina badge as well.
Should i put in a sterile tank and then treat with metro again for 14 days?
What was in the filter? Did you remove the media in the HOB filter?

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was in the filter? Did you remove the media in the HOB filter?
Yes, its just a sponge to catch the detritus.
I forgot to mention that the hippo tang and clown are not showing any signes of distress or uronema

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that the hippo tang and clown are not showing any signes of distress or uronema
Did it come with the filter? or did you add it? What HOB filter?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you completed a full 10 day regiment of metro at the max dose?

All fish can carry Uronema (most asymptomatic), so you want to make sure you have fully eliminated the parasite in QT in order to prevent transfer to DT.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added it. Its a sponge with out anything to "remove" meds.
We’ve made lots of mistakes with these, some contain polyfiber which removes meds which is why I’m asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you completed a full 10 day regiment of metro at the max dose?

All fish can carry Uronema (most asymptomatic), so you want to make sure you have fully eliminated the parasite in QT in order to prevent transfer to DT.
I did 14 days. 2 scoops per 10 gallon

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve made lots of mistakes with these, some contain polyfiber which removes meds which is why I’m asking.
This is what it is. I had it left over from my FW days

IMG-20190403-WA0000.jpg

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what my game plan?? What am i doing with the remaning 2 fish? Flushing down the toilet?
Lol

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If this were me I would transfer to a sterile QT and redose the metro for 14 days to ensure all Uronema has been eradicated.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were me I would transfer to a sterile QT and redose the metro for 14 days to ensure all Uronema has been eradicated.
I will do that but how do i make sure it completely eradicated? Since the other 2 fish dont really get affected Uronema But can carry it

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back