Chromis uronema or being picked on?

dalemoore93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just hoping to get a second opinion on this. Both my green chromis have, over the last few days, developed red sores/spots. From research sounds like it’s uronema which is frustrating. Tank levels always kept on track. Fairly new to this, tank 4/5 months old, if it is uronema, seems like unfortunately both won’t survive at this point. Main concern is the rest of the tank and the other fish. Mix of clowns / foxface / firefish / regal tang, shrimps, crab, snails - will it affect the rest ?

IMG_7486.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

Uronema is rarely contagious in our tanks, and Chromis seem to be much more susceptible to it than most fish, so it probably won't spread to anything else in your tank.

That said, let's get some disease-expert opinions here on if that's the problem your fish have: #fishmedic

For future reference, I'd suggest reading through the link below (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:
Also, for with these sorts of issues, posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster (this is also for future posts/reference):

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of the other chromis?
Are they acting off at all?
Uro usually shows as a vertical band, but with a red dot at that spot on a chromis, uro would still be my first thought.
Like mentioned, it really doesn’t spread. If it does, it’s only to the most susceptible fish (certain halichoeres wrasses, anthias, chromis).
It’s one of those diseases that’s always present in all tanks (just rarely infects), so there isn’t any true way to eradicate it.

OP
OP
D

dalemoore93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of the other chromis?
Are they acting off at all?
Uro usually shows as a vertical band, but with a red dot at that spot on a chromis, uro would still be my first thought.
Like mentioned, it really doesn’t spread. If it does, it’s only to the most susceptible fish (certain halichoeres wrasses, anthias, chromis).
It’s one of those diseases that’s always present in all tanks (just rarely infects), so there isn’t any true way to eradicate it.
Thanks for the reply and the information. Good to know for the other fish.

The other only has one spot on one side which is on the image now attached. The one I sent before has numerous spots on each side

Both acting very normal from what I can tell. Happily swimming around

IMG_7509.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TO me that Is uronema . 99%

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

Uronema is rarely contagious in our tanks, and Chromis seem to be much more susceptible to it than most fish, so it probably won't spread to anything else in your tank.

That said, let's get some disease-expert opinions here on if that's the problem your fish have: #fishmedic

For future reference, I'd suggest reading through the link below (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:
Also, for with these sorts of issues, posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster (this is also for future posts/reference):
But probably best not to post 2 posts in the same topics

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The unfortunate thing is - besides increased husbandry (i.e. remover detritus, excess food, etc - hard to prevent it from recurring (Its in many normal tanks)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, Uronema shows as vertical bands, I’ve never seen it as multiple round lesions (but maybe?).
I’d say this is more likely lesions from aggression - chromis will fight amongst themselves.

If the lesions are stable and the fish survive more than a few days, that confirms it isn’t Uronema.

OP
OP
D

dalemoore93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be clearing up and fish are still swimming around loving life! Thanks for the responses, as a newbie I feel like I’m constantly looking for any signs of negatives haha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks to be clearing up and fish are still swimming around loving life! Thanks for the responses, as a newbie I feel like I’m constantly looking for any signs of negatives haha
yeah, your other post was answered and stated to be aggression damage as uronema is oval and ciliated with flesh imperfection and raised scales.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back