Use Coral Dip for Seed Rock?

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 110lbs of base rock and I was gonna get a really small piece of live rock from my LFS to get things started. I'm a bit worried about introducing any type of pests or whatever, so was thinking to dip the small piece of rock in a coral dip, like Coral RX. What do you think? Is that stuff only for corals?

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same thoughts when adding a small rock to fill in space in my display, I don;t think dipping the rock will kill off the bacteria that makes the rock "live" but most live rock is porous, so when dipping the rock in a product like ReVive/CoralRx the rock will soak in the dipping solution. If you want to dip the rock, I would suggest that you soak the rock afterward in a separate container, at least that way it dilute most of the solution, hopefully not contaminating your display.
I know that I have dipped frags that were on live rock plugs with Bayer and didn't rinse the frag enough, about an hour later I had a ton of dead bristle worms and amphipods floating around...a mistake I don't plan on making again...

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to use any dip on live rock (or dead rock as well).

Viracon13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be worried about any dip leaching into my tank after doing that. All those dips recommend rinsing a coral off to remove the dip before placing it in the tank. If you cycle the rocks in some plastic bins, you can give them a close inspection when moving them over to your display tank

OP
OP
Fish76

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, I won't be dipping the rock then. There are a few pieces at my LFS that have colonies of zoas attached to small pieces of live rock, how would you do a dip on those? Just dip upside down and make sure the rock doesn't touch the dip?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back