Use of Vibrant

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was curious how many people use Vibrant in their tank. I was thinking about using it and wanted to know some pros and cons you have experienced with it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a million threads on this. We had an assay done locally - it is an algaecide, regardless of what UWC says. I won't say which one since they deserve the ability to keep their products a secret even if they lie about what is in them.

It will kill all kinds of algae - not just the ones that you don't like. Some swear by it whereas some say that it has harmed their tanks. You will get testimonials all over the map. Read up and then decide for yourself - take your time and be diligent with your research.

One thing that I can tell you for sure is that CUC that eats algae that has been dosed with vibrant (or other algaecides) can die. Had a friend who lost 20 urchins when he started to dose and there was plenty of algae left still... nobody loses 20 urchins in a few days to natural causes.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s useful but if you continue to use it regularly then it can strip nutrients away and cause dinos

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they just blatantly lie about the contents?
There's no regulation in this hobby. Assume most manufacturers of supplements/miracle cures are lying about what's in them.

Especially products like this that are typically aimed at people with new tanks.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some under a microscope. See about all of the bacteria that you see. Then compare other bacteria products on the market that have shelf lives and different kind of instructions. Then, read instructions from other type of algaecide products like API Algaefix. You don't even need an assay to figure out what it is...we just happen to have a hobbyist that owns a lab in town.

They are under no obligation to tell us what is in it. None. Other manufacturers don't tell you anything either. I would prefer that they did not lie about it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some material differences in macro and micro algae that can be used to target one and not the other...but there some sometimes unintended consequences and especially if not dosed correctly.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Vibrant to fight turf algae. It worked after quite a bit of time, 4-6 months. The coral did well for a long time; then all the coral died except a few. Not just SPS but everything.
I doubt that Vibrant was the only cause but I do think it was involved.
I am surprised that the product is so blatantly mislabeled. I assumed it was a water treatment bacterial strain repurposed.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My use was devastating, if you are interested, click my name to find the thread.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back