Use outdoor water spigot

jabx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling all reefing plumbers!

Backstory: I am in the process of moving tanks(60 gallon +sump to 30 gal AIO) from my home to a family members home as we temporarily live here while our house is under renovation.
I was given space in the unfished basement to set up my temporary tank. There is no running water or drain access down there.
There is a frostless water spigot right out the back door that would be easy to connect my RODI unit to for a few hours at a time and make water.

Question: I am located in Northwestern NJ and there is already frost in the morning. Is it safe to use the outdoor faucet as it continues to get colder? hose connector would only be attached while RODI in use.

This is the one thing complicating my move as if i cannot use the outdoor faucet i will have to make 5 gallons at a time and carry downstairs in buckets.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe to use, but even "frostless" should be turned off from the inside during cold months. You can't leave the hose hooked and I would refrain from even trying on days where the temperature will be at or below freezing.

It is very unlikely that a below grade basement does not have a floor drain somewhere.

I would certainly cut back on water changes - and honestly just cary the buckets. Get a few collapsable plastic water buffalos.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not so much the water from the tap you need to think of. If it drops below freezing any water still in the RO unit can freeze and damage the membrane, as far as I have always understood.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone also in NJ I think this is a bad idea. The line will end up freezing.

figure out a better way of doing it inside.
Maybe even just get a brute can to fill up
Inside and use a small pump and hose to move the water vs using buckets

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks - a bit of reading comprehension ;)

1699105123126.png

He was not asking if he could leave the RODI outside all winter - he asked if he could hook its input to the outdoor spigot, removing the connection when he was done making water.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1699105123126.png

He was not asking if he could leave the RODI outside all winter - he asked if he could hook its input to the outdoor spigot, removing the connection when he was done making water.
Yea and it will still freeze…. The line would have to be outside and coming through a door or something and water in a tiny RODI line will absolutely freeze in the winter.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1699105123126.png

Let that line run for like 4-6 hours to make a big batch of water and I can almost gaurentee you will have frost or ice in those lines, even with the water moving through them.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea and it will still freeze…. The line would have to be outside and coming through a door or something and water in a tiny RODI line will absolutely freeze in the winter.

Let that line run for like 4-6 hours to make a big batch of water and I can almost gaurentee you will have frost or ice in those lines, even with the water moving through them.

Covered that in the first response of the thread:

1699106575942.png

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1699105123126.png

Covered that in the first response of the thread:

1699106575942.png
Ok, so you’re just here to insult people and tell them They are wrong, and not actually contribute anything to the conversation except insults.
Maybe just pass on by next time.

When you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything.

I also find it rather amusing that you do basically the same thing and tell the OP that they are wrong and there is (should be) a drain on their house even though you’ve never been there and they live there and have looked for it.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so you’re just here to insult people and tell them They are wrong, and not actually contribute anything to the conversation except insults.
Maybe just pass on by next time.
When you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything.
Hi -

My "insulting" response was mostly directed at the other poster who indicated that the RODI unit would freeze, you took it upon yourself to take it personally. Both their post and to a very small extent yours, appeared to somewhat ignore both the details of his question as posed and the responses to that point. My intent was not to be "insulting" even if you took it that way. Your own advice to just pass on would be appropriate I would think.

I also find it rather amusing that you do basically the same thing and tell the OP that they are wrong and there is (should be) a drain on their house even though you’ve never been there and they live there and have looked for it.
I am honestly not sure that I follow. The "same thing" as what? I simply pointed out what I felt to be responses that lacked context to the original question. It had nothing to do with anybody being right or wrong.

To that end, the home may very well not have a basement floor drain, but I pointed out that would be surprising, as most below grade basements will have a floor drain. There is no right or wrong here. It was a side observation, not the answer to his question. I am (honestly) am not sure how to point out that I think you missed the context without you feeling insulted.

No need to further the conversation, no hard feelings. Let's just both "pass on by". Enjoy the rest f the weekend.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:
. Enjoy the rest f the weekend.

We need clarification on this last sentence,

Is that f supposed to be “of” or does it stand by itself?

I’m really enjoying the discussion here this weekend, thanks to all! lol with the banter, can’t help it. Truly thanks.

I don’t know what the daytime temperature is but if it’s above freezing I think you are safe to make water during the warm hours of the day.

Otherwise, a portable heater near the spigot might prevent freezing?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :cool:

We need clarification on this last sentence,

Is that f supposed to be “of” or does it stand by itself?

If it stood by itself it would read...

Enjoy the rest, f the weekend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back