Used Neptune system

yellowfin-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some one local, is surprisingly selling a complete Neptune system with trident
(Neptune system (trident, apex, dos with canisters, power bar, ato, pmk).
Thing is, I have no idea where to start to make sure I’m getting a good deal, what key things should I look for? Questions I should ask, and if it all seems good, price?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out if it's hooked up and if he can demo you everything working, and also find out when everything was purchased (warranty = 1 year on everything). That's worth a bit more if he can show this and if there's any warranty left on anything.

If it's all boxed up and you're buying it sight unseen, offer 25¢ on the dollar (less if it's in horrible condition). Otherwise, if he can demo it it's worth 50% used (max). If anything breaks it will cost you more to get it fixed @neptune than what you paid for it (so just keep this in mind).

OP
OP
Y

yellowfin-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out if it's hooked up and if he can demo you everything working, and also find out when everything was purchased (warranty = 1 year on everything). That's worth a bit more if he can show this and if there's any warranty left on anything.

If it's all boxed up and you're buying it sight unseen, offer 25¢ on the dollar (less if it's in horrible condition). Otherwise, if he can demo it it's worth 50% used (max). If anything breaks it will cost you more to get it fixed @neptune than what you paid for it (so just keep this in mind).
Great advice, just sent them a message about the warranty. They said it didn’t have an active one, also it is still set up. Do you think requesting vidoes of it functioning is a good idea, or would it be better to see it in person?

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would want to see it in person. Establish a price that is agreed upon before you go. See it in a working environment and verify it has been taken care of and not abused. If it has some cosmetic issues you can always offer less.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice, just sent them a message about the warranty. They said it didn’t have an active one, also it is still set up. Do you think requesting vidoes of it functioning is a good idea, or would it be better to see it in person?
I'd definitely want to see it in-person (will also let you know how well they maintained it, etc.) They should be able to demo everything with the Fusion app.

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not uncommon to buy the whole system and not use it
Are you sure you need everything?

#2 unless you are getting an insane deal it’s not worth it
You will have to buy probes soon, they are not cheap

And if the set is over 12 months old….

I would buy new and only buy the components you are going to use
You can always add the others

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check for rust on all aqua bus cables and connections. How old is the Trident? If it needs service soon, plan a couple hundred bucks for that.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back