Used Nyos Skimmer

spawn79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ran across a used Nyos 120 skimmer for a pretty good price. The seller claims it's in working order. I've seen some good reviews from lots of people on this line of skimmers. The only issue I might have is he doesn't know how old the skimmer is or any history. The only thing I can see in the pictures is that it has a 1.0 pump and I think Nyos has updated the pump since then? So maybe the pump would give out shortly after I got it anyway and I'd be out another $100 plus for a replacement.

So my question is this. I'm trying to stick to budget/cheap stuff for my current build but keep good quality where I can. I've done pretty well so far. This is a really good skimmer but I don't know if I should go for it or just buy a cheaper skimmer brand new somewhere else?

What are your thoughts?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I purchased my Nyos skimmer back in 2018 I also purchased an extra pump so that I would have it on the shelf if I ever needed it. The extra pump is still on the shelf many years later.
I am not aware of them changing pumps, but it is possible. Their pumps are sized by number so 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 5.0 etc.

As long as it looks nice and clean and you think it is a good deal then go for it.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran across a used Nyos 120 skimmer for a pretty good price. The seller claims it's in working order. I've seen some good reviews from lots of people on this line of skimmers. The only issue I might have is he doesn't know how old the skimmer is or any history. The only thing I can see in the pictures is that it has a 1.0 pump and I think Nyos has updated the pump since then? So maybe the pump would give out shortly after I got it anyway and I'd be out another $100 plus for a replacement.

So my question is this. I'm trying to stick to budget/cheap stuff for my current build but keep good quality where I can. I've done pretty well so far. This is a really good skimmer but I don't know if I should go for it or just buy a cheaper skimmer brand new somewhere else?

What are your thoughts?
If it's that good of a price, then get it and get a replacement pump. There a 90% chance it's a sicce pump and readily available

OP
OP
S

spawn79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh! OK so then I have no idea what the pump age is. I've looked for several close up pics of the pump and noticed that some weren't 1.0. The images weren't always tagged well so I assumed it was maybe a version number. Didn't even think of the size. Thanks for teaching me something new.

I wish I could remember how much it was but I'm at work and don't know the site off the top of my head but it was something like 180-190 I think. Since that's an expensive skimmer to begin with and I've seen other used one for well over that price I thought I'd bite. All it needs is a replacement air hose and that's easy to come by.

Sourcing a domestic pump seems to be more difficult however. The only suppliers I've seen with any availability have been over in the EU. I'm guessing maybe brs might be able to get a hold of one in a pinch though. Maybe not.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back