Used or new lights for reef tank?

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys so my tank has been running for a few months now and I would like to start putting some corals in the tank I've been really stuck on what kind of light to get as it seems for the light department everybody has their own opinion thoughts likes pros and cons on certain types of lights as I'm trying to keep it in a budget build I thought it would be best to kind of go a little more expensive as I can keep this light when I upgrade to a bigger tank instead of going for let's say a cheaper light like the current USA which is $100 for the LED bar which is a good price or I could buy the AI prime HD for 225 brand new yes it's $125 difference but it comes with the app it comes with a lot better features than the current and I can take that light and use it on a future tank a bigger tank so here's my question would it be better to buy a used product because I have found somebody with a used AI prime LED light with the mounting bar on OfferUp for $150 or I can go buy a brand new for $225 without the mounting arm please tell me your guys's experience and what your thoughts are on this thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay guys so my tank has been running for a few months now and I would like to start putting some corals in the tank I've been really stuck on what kind of light to get as it seems for the light department everybody has their own opinion thoughts likes pros and cons on certain types of lights as I'm trying to keep it in a budget build I thought it would be best to kind of go a little more expensive as I can keep this light when I upgrade to a bigger tank instead of going for let's say a cheaper light like the current USA which is $100 for the LED bar which is a good price or I could buy the AI prime HD for 225 brand new yes it's $125 difference but it comes with the app it comes with a lot better features than the current and I can take that light and use it on a future tank a bigger tank so here's my question would it be better to buy a used product because I have found somebody with a used AI prime LED light with the mounting bar on OfferUp for $150 or I can go buy a brand new for $225 without the mounting arm please tell me your guys's experience and what your thoughts are on this thank you
My last couple have been both new and gently used
Buy new for a $75 difference and July 4th may be on sale

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used LEDs is a tough one for me. It depends on how good of shape they're in and how old.

I would not buy Current strips/bars. They are way too wimpy. They do make more of a puck style that's similar to a Prime in form and power.

What are the dimensions of the tank that you want to light?

Yeet.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy new for warranty and peace of mind. If you feel like the difference in cost is worth it, just do some due diligence with used lights like asking for build date, percentage they ran on, pics of lens etc.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 20 long so 30 inches in diameter. I'm not trying to grow some crazy corals. Just some softies to get the hang of it. But someone has a ai prime for sale on offer up. But from your guys experience. Is red sea or AI better. I ask this because my LFS is sponsored by red sea and they keep trying to sell me red sea before any other product. Thanks for experience

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to grow sps. Just some basic green star polyp and xenia. Things like that

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 20 long is so shallow that you might be able to get away with the Current...had one on a 37 and it wasnt enough but thats about twice the depth of yours

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and with my rock structure some of the placement of corals is only like 6 inches from the surface

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And If you guys had a choice would you get AI primes or red sea?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check on the 21LEDUSA ReefBar Pro’s Their Strips are nice too, but I now prefer the ReefBars, I have Four, two on my 65 Gallon, with couple of the strips, in the back. Presently Two on my 120 Gallon Build. Being Retired, I can’t afford to drop a couple Thousand on Reef Lights, only to be disappointed and trying to sell them, in a year.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used LEDs is a tough one for me. It depends on how good of shape they're in and how old.

I would not buy Current strips/bars. They are way too wimpy. They do make more of a puck style that's similar to a Prime in form and power.

What are the dimensions of the tank that you want to light?

I second this, the Strips are not Moisture Resistant. The Light Fixture, doesn’t have a memory back up for Time of Day, get a bunch of Blinks, and program is lost. On my fixture the display is faulty, and hard to figure out. Also the Power supply blew, and the low volt plug doesn’t match other 12 Vdc plug/receptacles.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back