Used tank haul, quick question about smooth top overflow boxes

CrookedPath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Yesterday I picked up a used 50 gallon system, was previously custom built and used by a LFS owner. I have a couple of quick noob questions about the overflow setup:

For the two overflow boxes/surface skimmers, should I upgrade them to a covered/toothed style like THIS prior to assembly and filling? If so, any special considerations for doing the swap such as height placement for the teeth and water level?

20210519_070254.jpg

Reverse view, anything I should consider changing before assembly? The two overflows connect into a T then attach to the sump chamber with the protein skimmer, the return line is directly attached to a DC pump.
20210519_070305.jpg

I appreciate everyone's help, build thread coming soon!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smooth overflow shouldn't be a problem.....sawteeth are not a necessity. If anything, I can't stand having to brush by sawteeth about once a week to keep them flowing properly. That said, I do have one question as to why the overflows are so low in the tank. If I were to guess, 5+ inches below the lip of the tank???

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smooth top overflow skims better .... but more likely to ingest a fish. Your call really.

OP
OP
C

CrookedPath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smooth top overflow skims better .... but more likely to ingest a fish. Your call really.
My concern as well, so I ordered the toothed boxes with lids for peace of mind. Going to hold on to the old ones just in case.
A smooth overflow shouldn't be a problem.....sawteeth are not a necessity. If anything, I can't stand having to brush by sawteeth about once a week to keep them flowing properly. That said, I do have one question as to why the overflows are so low in the tank. If I were to guess, 5+ inches below the lip of the tank???

The tank is a standard 50g cube, but the back wall glass is about 8 inches taller. It was a custom made tank that had previously had an overhead cabinet. You can see the side glass on the right side of the first picture and in the reflection; the overflows sit at a normal height in relation to everything else.

I had the same confusion when I saw the aquarium posted for sale, I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw it in person.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that side edge now. :cool:

If it were me, I'd use it as it is. If you wish to add sawteeth, I'd do that my fabricating a cover that included the sawteeth. This way you wouldn't have to rip those boxes out to do the add, and cleaning could be done under a running sink.

OP
OP
C

CrookedPath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about the overflow setup pictured... The left return T's into the right which falls straight down into the sump with a slight bend at the very bottom. As you can see, inside of the overflow, the bulk head runs straight through the tank then drops down, with a small hole on top, and no downward facing elbow inside the overflow box like I see on most dursos. Last weekend, I filled the tank to test the setup. The two bulkheads are about halfway submerged within the overflow box, and gurgle very loudly. If I increase the pump on the return, the waterfall effect gets louder, decreasing it makes the gurgle louder. I have the smaller toothed/covered overflow boxes on the way, but now I'm not sure if that's going to make the noise worse or not..

In this setup, should the bulkheads be completely or partially submerged? Will smaller, lower GPH overflows boxes help or hurt the situation? I can tune the noise to be somewhat tolerable, but are there any other methods to reduce toilet flush/gurgling sound?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that side edge now. :cool:

If it were me, I'd use it as it is. If you wish to add sawteeth, I'd do that my fabricating a cover that included the sawteeth. This way you wouldn't have to rip those boxes out to do the add, and cleaning could be done under a running sink.
Same here. I actually turned the picture sideways trying to figure out what was going on.

A simple acrylic boxtop with sawteeth can be fabricated with box store items way cheaper than replacing the overflow imo.

Back