Used Tank - To buy or not to buy

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a decision that ultimately lies on me but I wanted to get some opinions before I pull the trigger.

I had a good deal come up about 4 hours away from me for a IM INT 100 w/ aluminum stand, some plumbing, and lid for $500 (no sump). It's two years old, sold by original owner who still has it running (will break down week of sale).

I've heard some horror stories about used tanks albeit primarily big box or Red Sea (old seal failures). Is there a great risk purchasing this tank? It's such a good deal I'd hate to pass it up, even with gas I'm looking at maybe $600 which is still WAY under new, even without the sump.

Is there anything I should consider before pulling the trigger? It won't be set up for a while honestly, Ill need to budget and plan the space but having the tank would be a potential hurdle down on the upgrade path.

Thoughts?

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Im lucky but I had many tanks over the years ( some new , some used ) and never had any problems. My latest tank is a Red Sea and it came to me used. If it was very old I probably would pass on it. 2 years old to me is not old but as Im sure you know there are no guarantees. Best of luck to you

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a similar example:

Do you have a pickup or trailer to haul this tank? I hate to sound like somebodies mom but I see so many glass tanks get bumped and chipped, or outright broken during transportation. These things need to sit on a flat surface with plenty of cardboard or soft dunnage, tie downs (not cinched so tight the tank deforms) that keep it from moving while driving, and lots of steady hands lifting and slowly moving them about without hitting an edge or scratching a face.

The price seems good, the black seams should be fine if its only 2 years old, but I would want to see it in person to view the scratches, chips, dings, or any other possible issue, while it's still full. Not because I don't trust the seller, but because I don't want to listen to my significant other if I drove 2 hours to pick up a tank that turned out to be flawed in her eyes. Sorry if I sound like her, I've only had 30 years of on the job training and I am slowly picking it up?

I hope all my agony proves to be unfounded and you found a great bargain.

Happy Slam Dunk GIF by NBA
:cool: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:;)

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have a pickup or trailer to haul this tank? I hate to sound like somebodies mom but I see so many glass tanks get bumped and chipped, or outright broken during transportation. These things need to sit on a flat surface with plenty of cardboard or soft dunnage, tie downs (not cinched so tight the tank deforms) that keep it from moving while driving, and lots of steady hands lifting and slowly moving them about without hitting an edge or scratching a face.

The price seems good, the black seams should be fine if its only 2 years old, but I would want to see it in person to view the scratches, chips, dings, or any other possible issue, while it's still full. Not because I don't trust the seller, but because I don't want to listen to my significant other if I drove 2 hours to pick up a tank that turned out to be flawed in her eyes. Sorry if I sound like her, I've only had 30 years of on the job training and I am slowly picking it up?

The plan would be to put it in the back of my SUV and then take apart the stand back to flat pack status and lay that in next to it. I've got tons of cardboard for under and around it to protect it during the drive. I will need to take some measurements to make sure it all fits though for sure.

OP
OP
robotrash

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Took a look through that thread. I think I found enough things that would irk me not to get this tank. I was looking at the 112 EXT Lagoon previously and I think I'll continue holding out. That big of a loss of capacity in that footprint is pretty crummy imo and I really like the deeper look of the lagoons anyway.

Thanks for the thread and making my decision easier!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan would be to put it in the back of my SUV and then take apart the stand back to flat pack status and lay that in next to it. I've got tons of cardboard for under and around it to protect it during the drive. I will need to take some measurements to make sure it all fits though for sure.
Cool. I hope it all fits between the wheel wells! I always take that distance into consideration when I am looking at cargo spaces in new vehicles. The only reason to have a vehicle is for traveling to fish stores, picking up tanks, helping a fellow reefer move their set ups, and going to the wholesalers / airport to pick up boxes stamped with "LIve Fish"on them. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Are you gonna post a build thread when you bring it home? Take lots of pictures!.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a look through that thread. I think I found enough things that would irk me not to get this tank. I was looking at the 112 EXT Lagoon previously and I think I'll continue holding out. That big of a loss of capacity in that footprint is pretty crummy imo and I really like the deeper look of the lagoons anyway.

Thanks for the thread and making my decision easier!
I guess I posted too soon? Patience isn't my strong suit. Glad to help a fellow reefer out.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have had bad luck with used tanks . Never again . I know first hand of someone I know who had a 120 gallon sitting empty in their garage in the Florida heat for at least two years then decided to sell it . Don’t know if the tank gave the person who bought it trouble but since I’ve had a couple used ones burst at the seams years ago and all the money we put into these tanks with equipment and livestock not to mention their in our homes . I dread the thought of a tank bursting and the equipment caught fire and burned up a home while out or sleeping . Not for me , nope won’t do it . I know buying new I’m sure it could possibly happen but to me imo buying new I feel betters my chances of not worrying so much . Piece of mind kinda thing . I know a lot of people buy used and have no problems what so ever but for me maybe if I had not experienced the burst seams years ago I might not be so paranoid . Tanks are extremely expensive these days and I know during covid it was hard to get glass amongst other things and the prices went up to the moon but now that glass is readily available and the supply chain isn’t as taxed why are the tanks still over priced . Greed ? Inflation? I don’t know . Maybe if I knew that atank was recently taken down and wasn’t 20 years old and kept respectively I would consider getting used and sending it out to get resealed . Sorry for the rant

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be concerned about buying a 2 year old tank that is still running that is from a reputable manufacturer. Ultimately for as long as we plan to keep a tank running 2 years is not a very long time.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when it comes to buying used tanks, always ask how long they have had the tank, if they have had any issues with it, and to do a water leak test. If all of those go well and its a good deal? I would get one

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when it comes to buying used tanks, always ask how long they have had the tank, if they have had any issues with it, and to do a water leak test. If all of those go well and its a good deal? I would get one
if a tank is dodgy tho and they are selling it there not gonna be like oh yea its rubbish don't buy it there gonna say its all well and working lol

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all My tanks are acrylic. Imo any glass tank is risky Had a seam Burst on a 600 gallon glass tank 20 years ago and have he acrylic tanks ever since.

I don’t think this 2 year old tank if it’s running now is any more risk than a new one. Also you can always take apart and resilicone it if the cost savings is there

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if a tank is dodgy tho and they are selling it there not gonna be like oh yea its rubbish don't buy it there gonna say its all well and working lol
Oh for sure, you always have to be careful about buying secondhand anything

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would hurt you more damaged floor or the few bob you would be saving buying 2nd hand
A new tank can also fail I don’t see how spending more money on a new tank is necessarily better if you inspect a used tank first and it looks just as good

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a decision that ultimately lies on me but I wanted to get some opinions before I pull the trigger.

I had a good deal come up about 4 hours away from me for a IM INT 100 w/ aluminum stand, some plumbing, and lid for $500 (no sump). It's two years old, sold by original owner who still has it running (will break down week of sale).

I've heard some horror stories about used tanks albeit primarily big box or Red Sea (old seal failures). Is there a great risk purchasing this tank? It's such a good deal I'd hate to pass it up, even with gas I'm looking at maybe $600 which is still WAY under new, even without the sump.

Is there anything I should consider before pulling the trigger? It won't be set up for a while honestly, Ill need to budget and plan the space but having the tank would be a potential hurdle down on the upgrade path.

Thoughts?
I bought a 4-5 year old 125 system that someone built into a reef tank themselves. It was a great buy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back