Uses for Sock Chambers

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've decided absolutely no more socks in the sump. They're just too much of a pain in the butt. I threw my heaters in the first sock chamber and decided to grow chaeto in the 2nd and third chambers before the skimmer. Anyone else use their sock chambers for anything else?

Anyone else use one of them to add more macro algae? I was thinking of just getting a longer refugium light that covers the length of the front sock chamber that's next to the refugium chamber without removing the baffle.

Thoughts?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No socks here either. All I need is a skimmer, a return pump, and a heater.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No refugium. I've never found in-sump refugiums worth the trouble, way too small, just an added complication.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn’t you just get a Klir

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're not going to use them for socks, maybe some type of bio Media like Siporax (may not be necessary if your nutrients are already where you want them)? I could also see using it for pod cultivation, but if you're already running a fuge, that seems like a better place to cultivate pods.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not going to use them for socks, maybe some type of bio Media like Siporax (may not be necessary if your nutrients are already where you want them)? I could also see using it for pod cultivation, but if you're already running a fuge, that seems like a better place to cultivate pods.

So, I think I'm going to switch our dosing to dump in the first sock chamber (there's great flow and it'll save us on the length of the tubing) and then we're going to grow some additional macro in the second chamber.

We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC8FCFAC-8AC8-4864-9D1C-7C6138A5C04F.jpeg

And 2nd sock chamber is an extension of our refugium now. Yay!

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esther, Im in the process of a custom project you may find interesting. I have been toying with the idea of adding UV for a while now but didnt want all the extra plumbing and bulky unit taking up all the space in my sump. Since I never use filter socks anyway, when I saw these, a light bulb went off in my head:
1609600628120.png

Im going to attempt to modify 2 of these to fit in place of my red sea reefer 450 socks, which would get me 22w total of UV power with zero additional plumbing or space wasted. Not sure if they are going to fit or if I just wasted $120, but one must make sacrifices in the name of innovation sometimes. My plan is to 3d print or cut out circular inserts that will fit where the socks went. If you're interested maybe I will make a build thread for this if it works out!

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esther, Im in the process of a custom project you may find interesting. I have been toying with the idea of adding UV for a while now but didnt want all the extra plumbing and bulky unit taking up all the space in my sump. Since I never use filter socks anyway, when I saw these, a light bulb went off in my head:
1609600628120.png

Im going to attempt to modify 2 of these to fit in place of my red sea reefer 450 socks, which would get me 22w total of UV power with zero additional plumbing or space wasted. Not sure if they are going to fit or if I just wasted $120, but one must make sacrifices in the name of innovation sometimes. My plan is to 3d print or cut out circular inserts that will fit where the socks went. If you're interested maybe I will make a build thread for this if it works out!

Very cool! Let me know how it goes.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back