Using a gate valve for the return? Good idea or bad for the pump?

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an Aqueon quietflow aq3000 for my tank but wish to run it about 100gph less. Is using a valve a good idea to regulate flow or will it burn the pump out?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A valve on the return line will be just fine to slow down a ac pump.
Many people use this approach.
Most generally use a ball valve because they are usually cheaper, but you are into fine tuning things, it's fine.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally fine. I’ve been valving back my AC return pumps for years. In fact, you will find that by valving it back, the pump will actually draw less wattage.

OP
OP
NeptuneRjo

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A valve on the return line will be just fine to slow down a ac pump.
Many people use this approach.
Most generally use a ball valve because they are usually cheaper, but you are into fine tuning things, it's fine.
Totally fine. I’ve been valving back my AC return pumps for years. In fact, you will find that by valving it back, the pump will actually draw less wattage.
Thanks for the replies. I read that ac pumps can reduce wattage to account for reduced flow but I wasn't sure it was for all pumps.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an alternative you can tee the output and put the gate on the tee. This insures that you don't have too much head.

OP
OP
NeptuneRjo

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an alternative you can tee the output and put the gate on the tee. This insures that you don't have too much head.
I actually tried that at first but for some reason the noise coming from my pump was significantly louder. It might have been because it was a y shape and not a t so if any problems come up I'll try a tee

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back