Using an Apex to find faulty/overheating equipment

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I've been running my nano since the beginning of the year, and my brilliant self only recently got a thermometer to check the temperature. When the $3 glass thermometer told me that the tank was running at 86º, I knew I had to get something more reliable, so I got an Apex.

Sure enough, my tank was running right at 85º and I couldn't figure out why. After some thinking and snooping, the built-in power meter told me that the 24 gallon system was somehow consuming 3 amps of electricity, which seemed way too high.

Using the super handy Apex Fusion online portal, I cycled through my equipment by turning off outlets one by one until I found something way out of whack; my Mag 9.5 return pump was pulling 250 watts, way more than the 93 watts that it was supposed to. All of this extra heat was ending up in my tank and keeping the temperature way to high.

I could have probably figured out this problem with a Kill-a-Watt, but Apex's Fusion interface made finding the source of excess heat super intuitive and fast. Since swapping out my return pump, my tank is now using 30-50% less electricity and running 2º cooler. I definitely wish that I had invested in an Apex sooner!

37926104_1059045824244034_5763374760046100480_o.jpg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice detective work :) You have a Mag 9.5 on a 24g tank? Are you using it to shoot water across the room into another tank? :p

OP
OP
Funlad3

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice detective work :) You have a Mag 9.5 on a 24g tank? Are you using it to shoot water across the room into another tank? :p

I actually swapped it out with a Vectra M1 which I run at 90%, so you could say I like water flow. It's nice not having any powerheads in the tank, though! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back