Using Anion resin

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got the results of my ICP test and it showed high Silicates. I read that Anion DI resin would help remove most of it. I purchased the Anion and filled the first cartridge with it. The second and third cartridges are filled with mixed resin. I mixed a batch of saltwater last night. Something told me to double check to make sure I was doing everything right and now I see that you should use Cation resin along with the Anion. Is it OK to use the water I mixed for a water change or should I dump it? Also, should I remove the anion until I get the cation because I'll need to refill the ATO in the next day or so?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got the results of my ICP test and it showed high Silicates. I read that Anion DI resin would help remove most of it. I purchased the Anion and filled the first cartridge with it. The second and third cartridges are filled with mixed resin. I mixed a batch of saltwater last night. Something told me to double check to make sure I was doing everything right and now I see that you should use Cation resin along with the Anion. Is it OK to use the water I mixed for a water change or should I dump it? Also, should I remove the anion until I get the cation because I'll need to refill the ATO in the next day or so?
it should be ok. Likely not "0" TDS but certainly better than tap. You should run your three canisters in the proper order of Cation-Anion-Mixed.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have mixed beds, it is okay. They have cation and anion in them. Proper resin setup of separate beds is cation, anion, and mixed beds. You don't have to have separate beds for cation and anion, but it saves money to only change the resin that depletes. BRS has a video here:

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have mixed beds, it is okay. They have cation and anion in them. Proper resin setup of separate beds is cation, anion, and mixed beds. You don't have to have separate beds for cation and anion, but it saves money to only change the resin that depletes. BRS has a video here:

Thanks! Wish I would have found this last week! :)

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any tricks to avoiding the smell of Anion? I opened the bag on Sat and can still smell the stuff!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any tricks to avoiding the smell of Anion? I opened the bag on Sat and can still smell the stuff!
None that I know of, lol! It smells like ammonia. It's supposed to. :grinning-squinting-face:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got the results of my ICP test and it showed high Silicates. I read that Anion DI resin would help remove most of it.

How high? Do you have a diatom problem? If not, high silicate is not a concern. I regularly dosed it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've got them...ICP showed 233 with a range of 0-200.

I regularly dosed about 200 ug/L Si as sodium silicate, and think many folks would benefit from it, but if you believe that the diatoms are causing issues, reducing it seems a fine plan. I would not, however, assume the RO/di is the main source, although it might be.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regularly dosed about 200 ug/L Si as sodium silicate, and think many folks would benefit from it, but if you believe that the diatoms are causing issues, reducing it seems a fine plan. I would not, however, assume the RO/di is the main source, although it might be.
What are other sources that could introduce it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are other sources that could introduce it?

Silica sand can add some, and some chemicals contain it. Some folks have high Si levels without diatoms and I’m not even sure if those are silicate as opposed to other silicon chemicals.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silica sand can add some, and some chemicals contain it. Some folks have high Si levels without diatoms and I’m not even sure if those are silicate as opposed to other silicon chemicals.
Thanks. I'm planning to do weekly water changes for about 2 months then send another ICP test in to see if there are any changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm planning to do weekly water changes for about 2 months then send another ICP test in to see if there are any changes.

Testing the RO/di effluent when it reads 0 ppm tds would also be useful, and some companies do that as part of a package.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 70 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.9%
Back