Using bleach in display tank to kill ich?

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 percent of people - give or take - do no QT procedure of any type on this site. So - it's not a question that's going to be answered definitively here. Go with the science - not the anecdote - IMHO - and IMHO - the science on QT is firm
You can”t quarrantine certain fish in this hobby like angelfish because the medications can kill them. They do not do well with copper at all. If you put one in a quarrantine tank and they have no where to hide they can panic and die from that. I rather just put it in an environment it can recognize to reduce stress. We may disagree on philosophy on this. just an interesting discussion.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my defense - totally self-serving:) I did say a MINIMUM of 30 days:)
I have also seen Hippo tangs go through quarrantine and then put in the tank and get Ich all over again. It’s just how it goes. Once everyone is settled no more disease

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the original clown is hanging by a thread. 99.99% going to pass in the next hour.

The new clown is not doing well either. swimming in lethargic circles at the water surface....

I'm 0/5 QTing new fish.

I want to preface this with the fact that I am not new to the hobby. I have been keeping fish tanks for over 25 years and had a very successful 55 gallon reef for 2 years. I know what I'm doing, I am not a novice by any measurable standard.

This is the first time I have ever attempted to QT new fish and I have watched 30 videos on youtube and read probably another 20 articles.

Short of first hand experience, I feel I have a good idea of what needs to happen and the order in which they need to occur.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

in 8 hours I killed over $200 worth of fish, and also have to live with that I killed 3 animals.

Just don't know what to do now...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can”t quarrantine certain fish in this hobby like angelfish because the medications can kill them. They do not do well with copper at all. If you put one in a quarrantine tank and they have no where to hide they can panic and die from that. I rather just put it in an environment it can recognize to reduce stress. We may disagree on philosophy on this. just an interesting discussion.
Pygmy angels are sensitive to ionic copper, but we’re are recommending amine bound copper products, and those are well tolerated by all fish except sharks and rays, some eels, and mandarins.
Jay

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the original clown is hanging by a thread. 99.99% going to pass in the next hour.

The new clown is not doing well either. swimming in lethargic circles at the water surface....

I'm 0/5 QTing new fish.

I want to preface this with the fact that I am not new to the hobby. I have been keeping fish tanks for over 25 years and had a very successful 55 gallon reef for 2 years. I know what I'm doing, I am not a novice by any measurable standard.

This is the first time I have ever attempted to QT new fish and I have watched 30 videos on youtube and read probably another 20 articles.

Short of first hand experience, I feel I have a good idea of what needs to happen and the order in which they need to occur.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

in 8 hours I killed over $200 worth of fish, and also have to live with that I killed 3 animals.

Just don't know what to do now...
Sure wish you would post a picture. Jay is a fish medic and he can pin point what you are dealing with.
Saying I don't know and no description, no picture, is pointless. Do you know how to post pictures?

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy angels are sensitive to ionic copper, but we’re are recommending amine bound copper products, and those are well tolerated by all fish except sharks and rays, some eels, and mandarins.
Jay
I killed 3 flame angels in quarrantine and the one survived went straight into DT

biggjoe8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks to be the ticket... I don't have to waste any salt water and I can crank the tank to 86F no problem, and I can even hold it there for 30 days as that how long it's going to take me to treat the clownfish with copper anyway...

Crank the tank to 86F leave it there for 30 days with no fish in it. In the meantime I'm QTing the clowns. After 30 days of fallow+86F, do a big water change, and put the clowns in...

Fast and seems guaranteed, and wastes little water... I'm in SoCal and they are getting very strict with water usage.
I am currently 18 days in to this process. It was also suggested to blow off rocks and stir the sand bed. The cysts can hide where there is no oxygen so stirring up everything gets them floating around. I am also running a uv.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back