Using canister as vacuum cleaner

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am debating using a canister filter more or less a vacuum for detritus and unfortunately cyano and/or dinos. I already siphon these out when doing water changes, but looking for a way to more or less spot vacuum while just recirculating the water. I tried basically just siphoning through a filter sock into a brute and then just pumping the filtered water back in, but unfortunately a lot of the crud somehow just goes straight through the sock. So that brings me to the idea of using a canister. Any advice on what media in the canister to catch/clean and recirculate? Thanks

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am debating using a canister filter more or less a vacuum for detritus and unfortunately cyano and/or dinos. I already siphon these out when doing water changes, but looking for a way to more or less spot vacuum while just recirculating the water. I tried basically just siphoning through a filter sock into a brute and then just pumping the filtered water back in, but unfortunately a lot of the crud somehow just goes straight through the sock. So that brings me to the idea of using a canister. Any advice on what media in the canister to catch/clean and recirculate? Thanks
That should work, just might be expensive if you’re buying a new canister filter

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's because you used a sock with too large of a micron. If you use a 5 micron or less sock, it WILL catch the crud. Even a canister filter is not going to do that because the filter pad is not small enough micron and the "crud" will just go straight through. It's all about the pore size of the filter pad or sock. When I had dinos I did the sock trick with the small micron size, and it worked great. I believe I bought them from aquarium specialty.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point.....I have no idea what size micron bag it was....just went a bought a felt one from my LFS. I just use the mesh one in my sump.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a diatom filter for that.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatom filter? I’ve never seen one of those. How does it work....video looks like the tube is blowing water out.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a canister filter but very strong and filters out anything up to one micron. That is the size of many bacteria.
I have been using one a couple of times a year since the 60s.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatom filter? I’ve never seen one of those. How does it work....video looks like the tube is blowing water out.

Old school filtration method that uses diatomaceous earth (dead remains of diatoms) to filter really small particles. REALLY polishes water.

OP
OP
C

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wonder what’s easier....just a really small micron sock and siphon into a brute, then just pump clean water back in......or one of these diatom filters.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the topic. I wish I had something that was easy to operate that I could really get under my rocks etc...... I have bare bottom and the “sand” that slowly builds up from rocks etc drives me nuts. I don’t do water changes very often (every 4 months) and even when I do, after the storm settles, I see more I’d like to suck up. I’d like to basically “vacuum” my tank every once in awhile

I may get an old pump and try to fix a sock to it, but it’s not easy to maneuver around rocks I’d imagine.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wonder what’s easier....just a really small micron sock and siphon into a brute, then just pump clean water back in......or one of these diatom filters.

Fish of hex sells a filter sock holder that clips onto a 5 gallon bucket. He charges $14.99 for it. Then a 1 micron filter sock I think I paid $8 for. So for like $23 dollars you can vacuum until your heart is content. If it is real bad I would recommend maybe 2 socks.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using a canister filter as a "vacuum cleaner" for my tank with not much success. Seems like I just stirred up more detritus than I removed. Of course, a lot of that ended up in the filter socks so not a complete loss.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although fish of hex seems to only make a 4" and I used a 7". But here is a sock like I used. Sometimes I even just stir everything up on the bottom a bit and get it into the water column and put this into my sump. Really polishes the water nicely.

It is 1 micron for $9.99

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back