Using chloroquine phosphate to treat new fish

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to check in your profile to see if there's a delete account option there
It's not that it's hard to test, its the fact that you need to test at all... It takes at least 2 tests to get the copper levels where it needs to be. You guess how much copper it takes to get to 2.5ppm, right out the get you're at 2.2ppm, add a little more then test again, dang now I'm at 2.4, add a little more and test again to ensure that you're at 2.5. Same thing when you make a water change batch, test, off a bit, add more, test again, test again... This is an expensive endeavor as the regent refill kits are expensive.

The mg/L(gal) with CP is absolute, no testing required whatsoever. It's faster, treats a wider range of parasites and is less lethal to fish... A win across the board other than the fact that it is more expensive and harder to get than copper.

I don't mind paying $150 for a lifetime supply of the stuff.
Copper is not safe for a few species, and chloroquine has that same issue. Luckily most of the time, the fish that are sensitive to one are not sensitive to the other.

Hypo after the safety stop dips really seems to be the easiest to accomplish, and probably the cheapest as well.

A hyposalinity 10g qt with weekly safety stop dips, during which the qt could be fully cleaned will probably be a great option and simple. I'm sure there's a few fish who would not handle the safety stop, which in that case that step can be skipped, but still an easy cheap alternative to the copper and chloroquine treatments.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that the therapeutic level for copper power is better 2 and 2.5. So I add 1.5 mL of copper per gallon. Then I test once. Usually comes close to 2.5ish. If I’m a bit under I add an mL or two of copper and call it a day. I don’t keep retesting. You don’t have to be exactly at 2.5. Just be in the range between 2-2.5 and all is well. The only other time I retest is when I’m changing water and redosing which is usually every 4 days or so when the nitrate has built up.
These are good points, I did not know it was between 2 and 2.5... Everything I've read says it needs to be exactly 2.5...

Even still... CP is less toxic to fish and they get in and out of the medicine faster with CP than copper.

10 days in the medicine and 2 weeks in unmedicated water for observation.

Again, aside from the higher cost and it being more difficult to get, it seems better than copper?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely an alternative. I’ve ran 3-4 batches of fish through copper thus far, including my snowflake eel, and I’m getting pretty comfortable with it. But maybe one of these days I’ll try CP. It would be nice to have a variety of quarantine techniques.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the screenshot from the linked article that shows at least some of the fish not to use chloroquine phosphate to treat. Anthias are one .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220719-220451_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220719-220451_Chrome.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I'm not hearing anyone run up a big red flag saying " DOOOO noTott UuseEEee CP WhHAt3verrr you DoooooOo "

Seems to be viable, albeit expensive alternative to copper...

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I'm not hearing anyone run up a big red flag saying " DOOOO noTott UuseEEee CP WhHAt3verrr you DoooooOo "

Seems to be viable, albeit expensive alternative to copper...
I use it, and prefer it over copper. I use hypo for all new fish, along with the black mollies. If the mollies break out with ich or velvet, during hypo qt, or after raising salinity I dose the qt with chloroquine unless it's fish that cannot handle it. In that case I restart the hypo and extend it am additional 3 months. . The formalin and methaline blue ( safety stop) baths really help to clean up the fish before putting them into qt.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple ways to do QT. I have done 2.
I have done Hypo with great success its easy and cheap but you have to be very accurate with teh Salinity level so testing but that testing is free.
I have also done copper and I really believe this myth about a lot of fish dying from copper is just not up to date info. I am by far no expert in QT and I have not lost any fish to copper.
You seam to want to do CP so that is what you should do because you will most likely be most successful with what you are comfortable with.
You say copper test is expensive and I would say if you consider copper test expensive your in the wrong hobby, 25 packs of reagent are like$12.00 and your planning on paying $150 for CP. Thats a lot of copper tests.
When I QT in copper I use less that 10 tests during the entire process. Once you do it a while you quickly learn how much copper it takes to get the proper level you don't need to do 3 test every time you change water. Maybe 1 just to be sure.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple ways to do QT. I have done 2.
I have done Hypo with great success its easy and cheap but you have to be very accurate with teh Salinity level so testing but that testing is free.
I have also done copper and I really believe this myth about a lot of fish dying from copper is just not up to date info. I am by far no expert in QT and I have not lost any fish to copper.
You seam to want to do CP so that is what you should do because you will most likely be most successful with what you are comfortable with.
You say copper test is expensive and I would say if you consider copper test expensive your in the wrong hobby, 25 packs of reagent are like$12.00 and your planning on paying $150 for CP. Thats a lot of copper tests.
When I QT in copper I use less that 10 tests during the entire process. Once you do it a while you quickly learn how much copper it takes to get the proper level you don't need to do 3 test every time you change water. Maybe 1 just to be sure.
Can you please describe how hypo QT is done exactly? Thanks.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please describe how hypo QT is done exactly? Thanks.
Yes set up a qt with fresh sw mixed to 1.09 temp acclimation of fish to qt tank, then put new fish in it.

Monitor ammonia. Do water changes to keep ammonia under control. Keep fish in hypo for a minimum of 30 days. I put black mollies from freshwater into the qt, as they will show if there's ich ect since they have no immune system for marine parasites. After the set hypo time, raise salinity slowly over a minimum of a week. Two is preferable. Then keep fish in the qt for an additional week to verify no breakout of parasites.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I will explain my hypo qt.

I use 2 40g qt tanks, because I qt multiple fish at a time for myself and local friends. I temp acclimation the fish, then I run them through the safety stop baths. Afterwards I put them into a 40g if ammonia raises to high I transfer fish to the second qt. In between the tanks I do another safety stop bath.

Clan out the first and refill it.

Then repeat the move as needed. If the ammonia doesn't raise I still transfer fish after the first week.
And on the 4th week.
I keep the fish in hypo for around 45 days or more, feeding them, getting them used to seeing me ect. It really helps them when I transfer them to the display, to be less stressed from the shipping ect.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I will explain my hypo qt.

I use 2 40g qt tanks, because I qt multiple fish at a time for myself and local friends. I temp acclimation the fish, then I run them through the safety stop baths. Afterwards I put them into a 40g if ammonia raises to high I transfer fish to the second qt. In between the tanks I do another safety stop bath.

Clan out the first and refill it.

Then repeat the move as needed. If the ammonia doesn't raise I still transfer fish after the first week.
And on the 4th week.
I keep the fish in hypo for around 45 days or more, feeding them, getting them used to seeing me ect. It really helps them when I transfer them to the display, to be less stressed from the shipping ect.
What are these safety stops you're mentioning? I've never heard of those before

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these safety stops you're mentioning? I've never heard of those before

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems aggressive...

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems aggressive...
Formalin and methalene blue have been used for many years to treat fish. Saftey stop is a simple premeasured treatment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220720-001714_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220720-001714_Google.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 48

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back