Using epoxy to build tanks?

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine is willing to build a 150 gallon acrylic tank. He usually works with epoxy and thinks that would be better than silicone. Is epoxy fish safe?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallons is a lot of water to put in something built by someone who has never built an aquarium before. Building your own acrylic tank can definitely be done, but I’m not sure I’d want the first attempt to be a 150G tank.

OP
OP
Brittany Marie

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallons is a lot of water to put in something built by someone who has never built an aquarium before. Building your own acrylic tank can definitely be done, but I’m not sure I’d want the first attempt to be a 150G tank.
I’d definitely make sure it holds water first. Would glass be better?

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great offer but I'd be nervous too, unless when your friend refers to epoxy he is referencing a solvent-based glue that will actually weld the acrylic. Acrylic tanks aren't glued together the same way glass tanks panels are held with silicone. The panels on acrylic tanks are welded - the glues that are used melt the plastic and as it cures they fuse together.

Even if it holds water initially, I would be nervous about a failure of the seam if epoxied.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back