using home cut frags for calcium reactor media

Rouxdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is in need of some serious coral trimming. does anyone use their own home-cut frags as calcium reactor media? For the first time in 25 years of the hobby, I have a serious aiptasia infestation so I don't think anyone is going to be interested in live frags out of my system. If anyone is using them, is there an easy way to clean the cut pieces? I have thought about just cutting slowly and maybe putting the frags in a dark place (sump) and letting the coral tissue just resorb back into the system. any thoughts?

thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tossed old skeleton in my reactor before, it dissolves! I wouldn't allow frags to rot in my tank, that would seem like a potential breeding ground for nasty bacteria (or other threat organisms) that might attack healthy colonies?

I have also read cautions from reefers regarding frag skeleton recycling: ~ "The skeletons in our systems are not likely to be 'balanced' like coral rubble skeletons collected from a wild reef." The imbalance in elements created from recycling was suggestted to be a potential issue. IF you ICP test and add trace elements I wouldn't think that recycling would ever become the problem that were suggested?

HTH.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back