Using Kalkwasser in top off water?

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone -

So I’ve been back in the hobby for a year after a 12 year leave. Running a RS 425xl all SPS.

I am currently running a calcium reactor (as I had done with me last tank) and things are going okay - however during my maintenance routine I recalibrated my PH probes on my Apex and my PH was low to me. Before calibration it was 8.0 at Night and 8.3 during the day. Now it is 7.7 at night and 7.9 during the day.

In my last tank I always put a little Kalkwasser in my top off water to help my PH out. Not sure if there is any issue with that - don’t think there is?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone -

So I’ve been back in the hobby for a year after a 12 year leave. Running a RS 425xl all SPS.

I am currently running a calcium reactor (as I had done with me last tank) and things are going okay - however during my maintenance routine I recalibrated my PH probes on my Apex and my PH was low to me. Before calibration it was 8.0 at Night and 8.3 during the day. Now it is 7.7 at night and 7.9 during the day.

In my last tank I always put a little Kalkwasser in my top off water to help my PH out. Not sure if there is any issue with that - don’t think there is?
Im a kalk fan. The only issue in your top off is that evaporation will change throughout the year. This will change the amount of calcium and alkalinity you supply. I don’t think it’s a big deal with the calcium reactor supplying most of the tank needs though. I’d do it.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im a kalk fan. The only issue in your top off is that evaporation will change throughout the year. This will change the amount of calcium and alkalinity you supply. I don’t think it’s a big deal with the calcium reactor supplying most of the tank needs though. I’d do it.

Thanks for the reply. My HVAC is very stable but you do bring up a really good point - I’ll have to keep an eye on it during winter v summer. I will also need to remember to turn off my ATO when I am doing any water changes (I usually do) or when drip acclimating anything in as I could dump a ton of KALK in.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine as long as your system can use up the extra alk and calcium. I run a 24/7 kalk drip on my system. Just adjust salinity with water change etc if affected too much between seasons...but it really doesn't differ massively.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's fine as long as your system can use up the extra alk and calcium. I run a 24/7 kalk drip on my system. Just adjust salinity with water change etc if affected too much between seasons...but it really doesn't differ massively.

I have a 50 gal top off reserve and I’m going to start with 4 teaspoons and go from there. To your point I don’t want to over do it and not be able to use it up.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back