Using magic eraser to clean corners of aquarium

josh1591

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently found out that using a magic eraser (just the plain one with no chemicals added) has worked really well at cleaning the corners of my aquarium. My trochus snails have been neglecting the more stuck on algae so I ended up having to do it manually. I normally use a metal algae scraper but it doesn't get really close to the edge and I didn't want to risk damaging the silicone with a razor blade. The sponge works well on the tough stuff and from what I can tell is not damaging the silicone. Just thought I would share!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently found out that using a magic eraser (just the plain one with no chemicals added) has worked really well at cleaning the corners of my aquarium. My trochus snails have been neglecting the more stuck on algae so I ended up having to do it manually. I normally use a metal algae scraper but it doesn't get really close to the edge and I didn't want to risk damaging the silicone with a razor blade. The sponge works well on the tough stuff and from what I can tell is not damaging the silicone. Just thought I would share!

Yes! Great tip - also really good at getting algae out of cuts/scratches in glass and/or acrylic so it looks better.

Seachem offers an inexpensive pad called 'DUO' - essentially it is a magic eraser on one side and other side has a scrub pad suitable for acrylic (but I use it on my 55g bowed glass tank).

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them all the time! Only time it has ever been a problem is when I was cleaning the sump. One day I got too close to the return pump, and it sucked a piece off and into the pump. Luckily the intake had a guard inside the pump, but I had to take it off and clean it out. More my fault I guess lol.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used these for years and never thought about buying generic. I just placed an order for 100 for 20 bucks....compared to the 7 bucks for 6 I would say that is a pretty good savings :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OR, do what I did
get corner trim and match color with your stand (in my case stand and canopy) and you'll never see algae

1667264946050.png

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used algae scrapers and brushes with handles, but honestly the best cleaner on my glass is a good old piece of filter floss and my own two hands. Gets all the crevices and the junk adheres to the pad really well. I cut up a large pad of floss for that very purpose.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used algae scrapers and brushes with handles, but honestly the best cleaner on my glass is a good old piece of filter floss and my own two hands. Gets all the crevices and the junk adheres to the pad really well. I cut up a large pad of floss for that very purpose.
@Homey D. Clownfish ....solid user name
GIF by moodman

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do the exact same thing with vinyl wrap on any tank for the same look and seam / corner hiding effect. Works fantastic.

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Great tip - also really good at getting algae out of cuts/scratches in glass and/or acrylic so it looks better.

Seachem offers an inexpensive pad called 'DUO' - essentially it is a magic eraser on one side and other side has a scrub pad suitable for acrylic (but I use it on my 55g bowed glass tank).
Do the melamine sponges / magic erasers scratch acrylic?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back