Using monti cap for new coral

  • Thread starter Thread starter uhgster1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

uhgster1

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
993
Reaction score
1,535
Location
Clarksville, TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I tossed the idea around of using a huge monti shelf (live) for added space. Well....
792340C9-9C9C-48AE-8FC6-23E918C3EB84.jpeg

1 month later. I placed the rock on the shelf and watched. The monti started to encrust around the rock and then I knew it would work. I think it will look interesting once the monti completely molds around the rock with the acro growing on it. So it looks like a good shelf of monti cap can handle the extra weight as long as it’s a beefy one.
 
As long as it has encrusted, in your case is off to a good start and an indicator of satisfactory water quality
Make note of current parameters and use them as targets for the tank
 
I did this, but I didn't have a large enough rock and the monti encrusted around the rock and killed the coral above.
 
Yeah, I thought about that. I’m going to keep it in check with the ole toothbrush. I have to do it with my leptoseris already.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new