Using "REACTION TIME" When Using LEVEL CONTROL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a sensor to control ATO. I would like to delay the ONSET of the ATO pump by setting the REACTION TIME to a "high" number of seconds (e.g. 60 sec). So after the sensor is triggered, it will take 60 seconds for the ATO pump to turn on. BUT, does this mean that after the water level returns to "normal" the pump will continue to run for an additional 60 seconds? Or does the REACTION TIME only refer to the "Turn On" time? (I'm thinking it regulates both the "Turn On" as well as the "Turn Off" in which case, 60 seconds would be too long a time for the ATO pump to run after reaching its normal level). It would be nice if the REACTION TIME could be set to regulate only the "Turn On" function (so the ATO pump would shut off immediately once the desired level is reached. Hopefully this is the case.)
Thank you.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a sensor to control ATO. I would like to delay the ONSET of the ATO pump by setting the REACTION TIME to a "high" number of seconds (e.g. 60 sec). So after the sensor is triggered, it will take 60 seconds for the ATO pump to turn on. BUT, does this mean that after the water level returns to "normal" the pump will continue to run for an additional 60 seconds? Or does the REACTION TIME only refer to the "Turn On" time? (I'm thinking it regulates both the "Turn On" as well as the "Turn Off" in which case, 60 seconds would be too long a time for the ATO pump to run after reaching its normal level). It would be nice if the REACTION TIME could be set to regulate only the "Turn On" function (so the ATO pump would shut off immediately once the desired level is reached. Hopefully this is the case.)
Thank you.
Try it.
Program in the delay, manually hold the float down, the once the pump starts, release the float and see it the pump stops immediately.

But I'm under the impression the delay is for the current state to see a change for X amount of time before it acts, and not when the sensor returns to the normal state. For instance in the ATO function if you have a lot of sloshing going on in your sump to stop false triggers.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it.
Program in the delay, manually hold the float down, the once the pump starts, release the float and see it the pump stops immediately.

But I'm under the impression the delay is for the current state to see a change for X amount of time before it acts, and not when the sensor returns to the normal state. For instance in the ATO function if you have a lot of sloshing going on in your sump to stop false triggers.
It's not real easy to "try it" because the pump is in another room and it's not easy to see water coming in (because there is a PVC pipe that goes under the water level). I generally have to plug in a lamp when I'm testing .....just got a little lazy by asking this I guess! :)
Unless someone knows the answer, I will try it.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK....I tried it. Apparently the set REACTION TIME applies to both the "Turn On" and "Turn Off" times, unfortunately. So if you set the ATO REACTION TIME for 60 sec, it will not turn on for 60 sec after being triggered, BUT will also run for an extra 60 sec after the water level is back to normal (so 60 sec would be too much, at least in my case).

Last edited:

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK....I tried it. Apparently the the set REACTION TIME applies to both the "Turn On" and "Turn Off" times, unfortunately. So if you set the ATO REACTION TIME for 60 sec, it will not turn on for 60 sec after being triggered, BUT will also run for an extra 60 sec after the water level is back to normal (so 60 sec would be too much, at least in my case).
Well that just sucks! I was hoping it was as I stated it.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, you want the delayed on because the area the sensor is in fluctuates and you don’t want it tripping on and off too much?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back