Using Rowaphos.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PO4 is measuring low on the Hanna around 0.05 but I think it's quite a bit higher as there is a film of algae around the sandbed glass and a light film of it on the rocks, not a lot but it's there, wondering how much Rowa to use? as following the instructions I'm using the correct about but it's not taking into account the PO4 the algae is using.

Should I up the amount until this thin film goes? Or is that a cuc issue and I shouldn't expect a "algae film free tank"? And just buy some more cuc?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The film you see is likely diatoms and Rowaphos will have affect with control
While it is not abnormal, you can reduce the appearance by siphoning the sand, blowing off some of it with a turkey baster and adding snails such as: cerith, astrea, nassarius and margarita

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t say how big the tank is but the link below is a good guide, but roughly 100g per 400 litres of water so you can work it out from that

Just remember you could have phosphate bound up in the rocks, so you may need to change the rowaphos regularly to start as it becomes spent or it won’t work. You need to starve the algae

I use a lot more in both my systems to keep phosphate locked down very low and if you can do this you will avoid many of the problems we read about.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The film you see is likely diatoms and Rowaphos will have affect with control
While it is not abnormal, you can reduce the appearance by siphoning the sand, blowing off some of it with a turkey baster and adding snails such as: cerith, astrea, nassarius and margarita
It’s 14g, yeah I didn’t explain correctly it’s not diatoms, it’s algae between the sandbed and the glass, a light film and same on the rocks, was thinking maybe up the rowa even tho the Hanna says it’s 0.05 to get rid of this light film or is that a cuc issue?

Maybe if I get the po4 down to 0.03 it will reduce this film?

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it a new tank just give it time it will go away on it own. keep in mind a tank that small should have water changes every week. At 14 gallons I would at least do a 2 gallon change out happy reefing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s 14g, yeah I didn’t explain correctly it’s not diatoms, it’s algae between the sandbed and the glass, a light film and same on the rocks, was thinking maybe up the rowa even tho the Hanna says it’s 0.05 to get rid of this light film or is that a cuc issue?

Maybe if I get the po4 down to 0.03 it will reduce this film?
You can wipe quickly and sparkling clean with a magic eraser ORIGINAL, not scented or lemon, etc
Then add snails: turbo, astrea, nassarius, nerite and trochus

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back