Using Sump to Minimize 'Hitch-hiker' Risk ?

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Jeff in Toronto, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:11 PM.

1. Jeff in Toronto

Jeff in Toronto New Member

Hello,

I've seen the countless threads discussing the pros and cons of live rock especially in terms of potentially helpful or harmful hitch-hikers.

Today someone at my LFS suggested a strategy I hadn't heard before, which is to stock your display tank with dry rock but put a single piece of LR in the sump. This approach - he argued - allows for the propagation of helpful bacteria while reducing the risk that any unwanted pests can get to the display tank.

Could this work? It seems like a "best of both worlds" kind of solution. Thoughts? Cheers,
    jeff

Tags:

2. Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo Well-Known Member

Great question! Look at my post I just put Dry rock vs Live rock

3. ChiCity

ChiCity Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I mean, yeah a crab wouldn’t get from your sump to your display, but flatworms, aiptasia and tons of other pests can.

4. burtonboy182

burtonboy182 Well-Known Member

I too am looking for a hitch hiker free tank. Your 100% correct in the word minimize. In no way is isolating it to the sump perfect. It depends on which hitchhikers your looking to keep out. Certain things will make it from your sump to your display just like they do from your display to your sump. Aptasia, AEFW, red bugs... will make it to the display while others like crabs will not. Like you said it will minimize your risk.

5. Jeff in Toronto

Jeff in Toronto New Member

Thanks for your answers. Ugh: I knew this was going to be too good to be true.

6. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Take the seed rock and clean it.
    Keep it in a bucket for a bit , scrub w peroxide and rinse. Let rest.
    Do a crash water dip for a couple hours , let rest. Do a light peroxide soak for 30 min. Let rest.
    Do it for a week or two.

You can also start with a hyper salinity bath. Ie start w 1.026 and add a salt slurry till it's about 1.030
    And the critters will hop off. You May even find ones you want to keep.
    That'll de pest the little piece of rock you put in the sump.

Oh, what's that?!!! You can do that with a bunch of live rock to!?!!?!

Lol.

You can also just add a small container of Fiji mud to a dry rock tank and get a lot of sponges corraline and cool Micro fauna.
    If you don't like hikers you can see or that crawl.

Draft saved Draft deleted