Using tap for reef tanks

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can just characterize all tap as bad, it’s just prudent and easier to do so.
I’ve used tap to no bad effects but as already stated; RO/DI eliminates the variables ….
I don't think the message has been that all tap water is bad. The message has been to know what's in your tap water before using it for your reef.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the message has been that all tap water is bad. The message has been to know what's in your tap water before using it for your reef.
I know, just policing tap water absolutions and sorta “stating for the record” lol
Us reefers like simple digestible phrases or mantras that can lead the uniformed astray.

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well 90% of water from the tap in residential areas usually has traces of chlorine and majority of the water is ran through old pipes which are usually copper brass or cast iron which in return youll get trace metals in it so eventually youll wipe the tank ask me how i konw.... i live in jersey our water is cleaner off the streets lol

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schrödinger's... Well, water...... ;)

Tap wather is simultaneously both good and bad as a result of its fate being linked to a random subatomic event that may or may not occur.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My test tank was setup on tap. My water supply is low on phosphates and high on calcium and magnesium naturally occurring from a limestone aquifer. Ran into diatoms. Assumed it was silicates so I used PhosGuard to quickly resolve that. Ran CupriSorb incase I had copper. Never changed color so I assumed none present. Can always test for it. My filtration resolves any ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Fact is I had to add ammonium chloride to perform my Fishless cycle.

Everyone has a different water source. Fit some RODI is necessary. Not a requirement for me. Will run Ultrafiltration to remove sediment down to half a micron or less.

BTW, I believe Reef Builders in Colorado. He doesn’t use RODI either. Just sediment and carbon filters.

Only reason I use distill for top off is the silicates I believe are in my tap. I’ll just run GFO mixed with GAC once my Ultrafiltration system is up and resolve that. Can also use char bone to remove are fluoride if that’s an issue. Although NSW contains it so anything squalling or less than that I’m not stressing over.

In the 80s I don’t recall anyone using RO. Not the transhipper I was at or the large wholesalers. As it is today. Are large wholesalers actually using RODI? I know one major Discus distributor in my area using nothing but catalytic carbon to remove chloramine and Discus are finicky about their water.

As I stated before. Everyone’s tap is different. For some. Tap might not be bad. Especially if certain impurities are treated such as copper and silicate. Don’t need RODI for that.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have my tank for 9 years, NO CORALS except for one
6 month old gorgonian, and I use tap water. My phosphate is a little high when I get it tested at the LFS, and nitrate is too high only if it is time to do a water change. My fish are doing well and my chromis constantly spawn. I take that as a sign they are doing well.
My older fish is over 10 years (I inheritated it) and the younger one (hyppo tang) is 2 years.
I am sure the RODI can be very useful, but I have the feeling that in this hobby a lot of stuff are pushed as necessary when it is not.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I love testing the water! If you can't test it you can't understand it.

What else would you be worried about?

Ya in general i dont disagree other than if use 0 tds as my input then i largely dont need to be concerned about excessive buildup of the vast majority of possible parameters. Sure i still have to test for the major parameters, but again those are not the ones i worry about in tapwater.

My two issues with tapwater are that any measurement is a point in time and may or may not be what the value is next week.....and the values of parameters i cannot test for with a hobby kit(or something like copper that i can test for but not known to be especially accurate)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back