Using Thrusters as wave makers in aquariums

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

Little about my tank and myself, I own 800 gallon tank with 300 gallon sump, I am currently using 6 mp60 for as wave makers and pumps are great and move ton of water but having to keep spare and wetside impellers and magnets issue are just too much sometimes, I was thinking about cutting down on Mp60 and looking for something that can give me equal if not more flow with less pumps in the tank, I came across Abyzz AFC150 model which does ~14000 gallons/ hour and they use thruster to move the water, size is little on large size and price is up there as well, I came across thruster that is made for sea water and it moves water, when I say move water it really can, attached is the picture of the thruster and specs are mentioned below, I bought 1 thruster and kit that comes with everything except the power supply, I had someone 3d print me the cage and mounting cup and bought magnets that I sealed with clear epoxy to prevent these magnets get in contact with saltwater, magnets are impressive and hold very strong 3/4" glass, I can control the speed of the thruster via knob and same knob can be used to reverse the impeller that will thruster pull water from front, It has been running in my display tank for week continuously and I will keep it going just to test it out. Just wanted to share this experiment with you all and I am not sure if someone already using these thruster as their wave maker, there are many choices and may power thrusters, but finding that can tolerate saltwater are very few that are reputable USA companies that make them, feel free to chime in with suggestions etc.

Performance Maximum Forward Thrust @ 16V 5.1 kgf 11.2 lbf Maximum Reverse Thrust @ 16V 4.1 kgf 9.0 lbf
Maximum Forward Thrust @ 12V 3.55 kgf 7.8 lbf
Maximum Reverse Thrust @ 12V 3.0 kgf 6.6 lbf
Minimum Thrust 0.01 kgf 0.02 lbf
Rotational Speed 300-3800 rev/min

Thruster.PNG

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with T200 Thruster with Basic ESC and bought controller that can control 4 thrusters with 1 potentiometer to control 2 or 2 potentiometers to control 2 of each thrusters, I don't have the stl file, I sent my thruster to someone I found online and he printed the cage for me, I wish I had printer to print myself, but he did great job and I like it,

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea! How big is it? When you take it apart to clean it, would you post some pics of the insides? I know it’s made for marine applications—I’m curious about how they seal the electric motor.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how loud is it in your tank?

also also, I was just looking at a site that sells these. The amperage draw seem HUGE!

Electrical

• Operating Voltage: 7-20 V
  • Full Throttle Current at Nominal (16 V): 24 Amps
  • Full Throttle Current at Maximum (20 V): 32 Amps
  • Full Throttle Power at Nominal (16 V): 390 Watts
  • Full Throttle Power at Maximum (20 V): 645 Watts

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I running mine at 16v volts and 60% throttle and I am happy, if I run this 100 percent I can hear the propeller but 80% is as loud as mp60 at full throttle, I don't see the need to drive these more than 60% but I have tried it full throttle at 16v and side glass of my tank is 5.5 feet and it was pushing water out of the other side of tank and pump was mounted in the middle on opposite side glass,

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems super inexpensive, honestly.

I might get one and have my son design the mount/cage (he's solidworks certified)

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems super inexpensive, honestly.

I might get one and have my son design the mount/cage (he's solidworks certified)
Initial cost to set 1 up was around 450.00 that includes, Thruster with ESC, Controller, Power supply, Clear 2 part epoxy, 3d printed cage and mounting cup, 2 magnets and cord, other three thrusters that I will be buying will connect to same controller but I might have to buy the power supply to drive additional 2, we will see where this goes, still testing,

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What power supply did you use? I noticed it can use a wide variety. I thought about using a 19v 5 amp for testing just to see if the additional investment was worth it.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What power supply did you use? I noticed it can use a wide variety. I thought about using a 19v 5 amp for testing just to see if the additional investment was worth it.
I used the model below from Amazon, It has knob on the top and digital dual screen that shows and Volts and Amps, I wanted to see how far I can push this thruster,

DROK 24V Power Supply, AC 110V/220V to DC 0-24V 20A 480W Buck Converter Dual Display, Variable Adjustable Adapter Regulated 5V 12V 24V Volt Switching Voltage Transformer 20A Amp Charger for Radio Lab​

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

I didn't even think of using that. I have a spare 24V 350 watt that I could use but it's not adjustable.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

Little about my tank and myself, I own 800 gallon tank with 300 gallon sump, I am currently using 6 mp60 for as wave makers and pumps are great and move ton of water but having to keep spare and wetside impellers and magnets issue are just too much sometimes, I was thinking about cutting down on Mp60 and looking for something that can give me equal if not more flow with less pumps in the tank, I came across Abyzz AFC150 model which does ~14000 gallons/ hour and they use thruster to move the water, size is little on large size and price is up there as well, I came across thruster that is made for sea water and it moves water, when I say move water it really can, attached is the picture of the thruster and specs are mentioned below, I bought 1 thruster and kit that comes with everything except the power supply, I had someone 3d print me the cage and mounting cup and bought magnets that I sealed with clear epoxy to prevent these magnets get in contact with saltwater, magnets are impressive and hold very strong 3/4" glass, I can control the speed of the thruster via knob and same knob can be used to reverse the impeller that will thruster pull water from front, It has been running in my display tank for week continuously and I will keep it going just to test it out. Just wanted to share this experiment with you all and I am not sure if someone already using these thruster as their wave maker, there are many choices and may power thrusters, but finding that can tolerate saltwater are very few that are reputable USA companies that make them, feel free to chime in with suggestions etc.

Performance Maximum Forward Thrust @ 16V 5.1 kgf 11.2 lbf Maximum Reverse Thrust @ 16V 4.1 kgf 9.0 lbf
Maximum Forward Thrust @ 12V 3.55 kgf 7.8 lbf
Maximum Reverse Thrust @ 12V 3.0 kgf 6.6 lbf
Minimum Thrust 0.01 kgf 0.02 lbf
Rotational Speed 300-3800 rev/min

Thruster.PNG
Oh, I'm interested in seeing a video with it working!

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern is the threaded inserts. Are they titanium? It seems they would have to be.
This thruster comes assembled and these thrusters are being used for under marine water sea drones for greater depths and Blue Robotics has tested these in oceans and have very good rack record, these and high quality thruster in my opinion

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back