OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap, one on each end is all you need for a 6 foot tank.
this can move water, I am going to use 4 thrusters and remove the mp60 wash them and put them in the box and test these and cleaning is super easy and thruster comes with 3 extra impellers and if you want to buy set with different colors I think cost is 10 or 15 bucks on their website,

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great DIY experiment. One concern I would have is while these are "ocean tested in saltwater" do they have any components that deteriorate/corrode in saltwater? I feel that to get a "reef-safe" check is needed to prove this is not going to be detrimental organisms in a closed reef system. Fill an experiment tank with fresh saltwater and send out an ICP test to provide a control sample. Then install the thruster and let it run for a month or two in the same water just topping off RO then send out another sample for ICP testing to see if anything toxic has leached from the thruster. Then another test would be needed with fish and some corals to see if there are any impacts on reef organisms.

Other questions I can can think that would need to be answered.
  • How much heat is being generated by the operation of one of these thrusters and can it impact the aquarium?
  • What is the duty cycle of these thrusters to see if its continuous duty rated? A stress test on this thruster for a month or two might might be useful to determine the life cycle of a thruster.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great DIY experiment. One concern I would have is while these are "ocean tested in saltwater" do they have any components that deteriorate/corrode in saltwater? I feel that to get a "reef-safe" check is needed to prove this is not going to be detrimental organisms in a closed reef system. Fill an experiment tank with fresh saltwater and send out an ICP test to provide a control sample. Then install the thruster and let it run for a month or two in the same water just topping off RO then send out another sample for ICP testing to see if anything toxic has leached from the thruster. Then another test would be needed with fish and some corals to see if there are any impacts on reef organisms.

• How much heat is being generated by the operation of one of these thrusters and can it impact the aquarium?
  • What is the duty cycle of these thrusters to see if its continuous duty rated? A stress test on this thruster for a month or two might might be useful to determine the life cycle of a thruster.

This is why I asked about the threaded inserts.

I agree completely.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this running in my tank, I have seen worst happened where mp60 wet side magnet swelled and I found out after when it is locked completely, I will keep this running and post the results but don't have room for new tank, my display tank has to be

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go big or go home :grinning-face-with-sweat:

space tech GIF by General Electric

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except they offer spares because they fail which isn't a problem in the ocean but if it corrodes in your tank, problem.
Perhaps if there is a way to periodically examine them.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “high end” eco tech pumps corrode over time as well, no different here just keep an eye on them

There is a great deal different here. There Is a coated motor winding in contact with the water.
So it comes down to the life of that coating.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what it is pulling at 60 %
There is a great deal different here. There Is a coated motor winding in contact with the water.
So it comes down to the life of that coating.
trying out in the tank to see how long I can keep it going, I will remove after the thruster after 1 month and inspect for wear and tear,

Attachments

• 16517028070541271851824530934301.jpg
    16517028070541271851824530934301.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 170
  • 20220504_182151.mp4
    13 MB

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Look forward to seeing how well these hold up over time. There are some cheaper options on the usual sites like Aliexpress. Some using 316 stainless.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of what one will
I expect the amount of use one of these gets as a thruster is only a small percentage of what one will get as a wavemaker
I would think the usual lifespan would already be known
this is what I am going to try with 1, any issues will be shared with group, but this is good start for sure

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back