Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these will be for sale by someone stealing the design and putting their logo on it soon.

sorry. Jaded by the number of thieves there are in the reefing/3d printing world.
yeah that's why I am looking into purchasing my own 3d printer.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pictures of thruster in my tank

20220503_191850.jpg 20220503_191846.jpg 20220503_191843.jpg 20220503_191837.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a large aquarium they were using these in. I don’t remember which one it was. The ones I’ve been too are the Baltimore Aquarium, Virginia Beach, Calvert Marine Museum, San Diego, and Honolulu. All pre Covid. BTW Forget Baltimore Aquarium, they are not limiting the number of ticket sales, and it’s as many people as they can pack in.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a large aquarium they were using these in. I don’t remember which one it was. The ones I’ve been too are the Baltimore Aquarium, Virginia Beach, Calvert Marine Museum, San Diego, and Honolulu. All pre Covid. BTW Forget Baltimore Aquarium, they are not limiting the number of ticket sales, and it’s as many people as they can pack in.
Many company makes thrusters for marine water, surf boards, many applications, this thruster is in my tank running continuously 24/7, we will see it there is an issue with motor or anything that fails on the thruster..

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a marine grade thruster as a wavemaker is a very interesting idea! I didn't even know they existed :)

One of my main concerns here, as others have already mentioned, would be how it will behave on 24/7 continuous duty. Those marine drones, which it was designed for, are mostly battery operated and are used for a few hours only each run. I do not expect much issues with properly cooled (immersed in water) BLDC motors, and there seem to be no other moving parts that would wear with time, but I still would be cautious. Would like to see how it goes in a few months time.

My other concern would be heat. Based on the photo of your power supply, it draws 94 watts of power. This is close to having a 100W heater turned ON continuously, and is a significant heat. Did you see any temperature increase in the tank so far? What kind of cooling do you use? If we convert this heat into evaporation, very roughly, it will vaporize one gallon a day.
I agree that some heat will be produced but not at all like a 100w heater. Most of the power will be causing the kinetic movement of the rotor. A heater is taking the energy and focusing on turning it into heat. I wouldn’t be concerned about the small amount of heat coming from this water mover even in a much smaller tank except for extreme circumstances like very hot weather with no aircon. 800gal is a huge tank there won’t be a temp difference from this pump.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that some heat will be produced but not at all like a 100w heater. Most of the power will be causing the kinetic movement of the rotor. A heater is taking the energy and focusing on turning it into heat. I wouldn’t be concerned about the small amount of heat coming from this water mover even in a much smaller tank except for extreme circumstances like very hot weather with no aircon. 800gal is a huge tank there won’t be a temp difference from this pump.
I agree with comment above, plenty of items running 24/7 in the tank and heat is not my concern is not about heat, concern is about long life of the pump that is what I am focused on, time will tell but performance/ flow of the thruster out compete mp60 or any large wave maker by far,

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enders are great if your into DIY(it has to be put together). It really isn't that hard to put together, but some people just can't do DIY. Just somehting that should be said of the enders. Some people can't even use a screwdriver, so this kit would not be for them.

Love my ender3, and yes that is the one he speaks of. They are great beginners printers.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t click the link, can you screenshot it?
It's an ender3 pro off amazon.

I beleive(I know when I bought mine), it was cheaper right through creality, then amazon. Might want to check their website before committing to amazon.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enders are great if your into DIY(it has to be put together). It really isn't that hard to put together, but some people just can't do DIY. Just somehting that should be said of the enders. Some people can't even use a screwdriver, so this kit would not be for them.

Love my ender3, and yes that is the one he speaks of. They are great beginners printers.
This. For that reason, I would look on offer up or, Craigslist for someone selling one. People that don’t know what they’re doing usually get frustrated with these things and sell them for dirt cheap. I got one for $50 and another one for $75. Both were sold to me as is, and broken, but neither was actually broken, just needed tuning as I later found out. Since you would want to modify most of the important components anyways, it doesn’t matter if it’s new or not.

ender 3 pro is great, ender 3 v 2 is also good, since it already has a silent board.
(Not to derail the Thread here)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back