Using Thrusters as wave makers in aquariums

Iccis Linn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently make one similar to yours too.

Attachments

• 20220629_073313.jpg
    20220629_073313.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so little update on my trusters, I own 3 of them now, 2 - t500 big boys and 1 t200 that I is being used in my sump circulation, I was looking for middle ware between apex and thruster controller but decided to go with Arduino Uno board which has the capability to ramp up and down these thrusters, I can modify the code to control the speed and delay and it ramps up and down slowly similar to reef crest mode in ecotech, but pumps are going strong with no draw back except too much flow "overkill" but plenty to keep everything suspended for skimmer to process, I will post pictures soon,

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the t100 is discontinued. Interested in any info on the t200. The website says they are plastic,stainless and aluminum construction. How's that aluminum hold up long term?

Lastly I saw someone question about fish being sucked in. I saw this

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no aluminum in my pump and cage is highly recommended since there is no stopping of this thruster, cage you shared is costly, I want to find source who can print these at reasonable cost,

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no aluminum in my pump and cage is highly recommended since there is no stopping of this thruster, cage you shared is costly, I want to find source who can print these at reasonable cost,
This is where I saw the info on aluminum. Is this the same t100? Or a different manufacturer using the same model designation?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of these, as I have multiple 8ft aquariums now, and my next house will have multiple 12 ft raceways as well as an even longer display.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 thruster can replace 3 mp60 in my opinion and 1 t500 can replace 4 to 6 mp60
I'll have to look mote into them . The controller is the biggest hurdle for me as I'm very much an analog individual. I'm wondering I'd a controller from a wavemaker could be wired to the thruster to control it. Or if the hydros wave engine could be used.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use thruster commander to dial in the flow with knob or use the Arduino Uno and create sketch to have in constant on or have reef crest, wave and one for certain seconds or min and off for certain seconds or min, limitless options,

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use thruster commander to dial in the flow with knob or use the Arduino Uno and create sketch to have in constant on or have reef crest, wave and one for certain seconds or min and off for certain seconds or min, limitless options,
I have no idea what either of those are. I'll try to Google both though

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at the two recommended control options, I assume you need to I stall those into a co.puter cabinet, connect some form of power source? Have some form of software probably hardware as well to communicate with the board?

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at the two recommended control options, I assume you need to I stall those into a co.puter cabinet, connect some form of power source? Have some form of software probably hardware as well to communicate with the board?
you will need the thruster, Basic ESC (signal) power supply and commander or Arduino Uno board and I can share the sketch with you that you can copy paste in arduino,

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need the thruster, Basic ESC (signal) power supply and commander or Arduino Uno board and I can share the sketch with you that you can copy paste in arduino,
I appreciate all the help. I reached out to my brother, who happens to be a robotic engineer. He laughed at me
Turns out he has a few cases of the aduino boards under his home desk. He said he will build me a controller program ect in about an hr and have an app I can interact with via my phone. Now I need to get the thrusters and find someone to print housings for me!!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question are you using the blue robotics thruster or the Chinese brand that look to be around half the price? I see metal screws or nuts on the exterior of the Chinese brand ones , so don't know how reef safe they are in comparison.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Chinese brand one vs blue robotics

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently make one similar to yours too.
May I ask how this design has worked out for you? Did you design it to allow the shaft to pivot freely?

I'm picturing the shaft being able to rotate maybe 40 degrees causing some random shifts in the output flow direction. I'd like info on the housing you made. Looks similar to the abyzz.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back