OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone else already suggested this and I misses it but I got an improvement idea.

Instead of a cage, print out a random flow generator that can snap on or otherwise attach to this. Then you will not only have flow, but random flow! Also could a hydros wave engine be used as a controller for this? That would allow scheduling.
It is good idea and not sure if anyone has tried it but I don't have 3d printer or have the knowledge to use to it, I will have to learn this, I am not sure it is not hard but trial and error.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good idea and not sure if anyone has tried it but I don't have 3d printer or have the knowledge to use to it, I will have to learn this, I am not sure it is not hard but trial and error.
Thank you. I am actually going to buy a printer, for this very project. Right now I'm kicking around in my head whether it would be better to do a pole mount like someone posted above, having it able to free swivel in up to a 90 degree arc, or magnetic, stuck to the side of the tank. The rfg nozzles combined with the pole would cause a massive amount of random flow direction in my mind.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about MP60s for my 340 gallon (only 6 feet, but 3 feet wide and 30" tall). I just couldn't justify the price. I have 2 mp40s and 4 gyres. two FX280s and two Fx350s. The FX350s are not great. The impellors have issues after about 1 year. I lost one because the magnet developed grooves in it and the impellor would no longer start. But the Gyres FX 280s are rated for up to 6,000 gph at 100% I'm thinking of upgrading my 350s to the 280s. The circulation of water pulling water from the bottom to the top then throwing it across the top, I don't know that I want a jet stream just pushing water from one side to the other. My goal is to have water circulate and keep debris from settling. Gyres have their down sides, it's the same reason I don't like the MP40s I have. They just push water... They don't really circulate anything.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these thrusters create great gyre since they pull the water from bottom and impeller pushing the across the tank and you can see the sediment moves towards the thruster from the botto, I love mine, I have 800 gallon tank and I had 6 mp60 and 1 of them was always down due to many reasons, wet side getting separated, dryside making noise, impeller broken due to snail etc, I got tired of spending money and moved towards this direction.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about MP60s for my 340 gallon (only 6 feet, but 3 feet wide and 30" tall). I just couldn't justify the price. I have 2 mp40s and 4 gyres. two FX280s and two Fx350s. The FX350s are not great. The impellors have issues after about 1 year. I lost one because the magnet developed grooves in it and the impellor would no longer start. But the Gyres FX 280s are rated for up to 6,000 gph at 100% I'm thinking of upgrading my 350s to the 280s. The circulation of water pulling water from the bottom to the top then throwing it across the top, I don't know that I want a jet stream just pushing water from one side to the other. My goal is to have water circulate and keep debris from settling. Gyres have their down sides, it's the same reason I don't like the MP40s I have. They just push water... They don't really circulate anything.
Same type issue. Both.my displays are 8ft long 2ft tall. One is 30inch wide one is 36iches.

Currently I have 4 jebao scp180 gyre across each of their back walls and a mix of 6 of their largest output wavemakers per display. 3 on each side wall. On the 3ft wide I also have closed loop, which is powered by 4 mcd10000 return pumps. 1 pump per return. If I can get the same flow with even 4 of these per tank as I do with all the wavemakers and gyres I will be very happy an feel like I won the lotto lol

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these thrusters create great gyre since they pull the water from bottom and impeller pushing the across the tank and you can see the sediment moves towards the thruster from the botto, I love mine, I have 800 gallon tank and I had 6 mp60 and 1 of them was always down due to many reasons, wet side getting separated, dryside making noise, impeller broken due to snail etc, I got tired of spending money and moved towards this direction.
How many do you have for your 800g? Any videos? I put videos on YouTube then attach a link here as it's so much easier then anything else I have found.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I am actually going to buy a printer, for this very project. Right now I'm kicking around in my head whether it would be better to do a pole mount like someone posted above, having it able to free swivel in up to a 90 degree arc, or magnetic, stuck to the side of the tank. The rfg nozzles combined with the pole would cause a massive amount of random flow direction in my mind.
I can tell you from my experience that rear bracket with magnet mount option is the best option, pole mount option will not work and I have tried it, thrust is too strong and will have to secure the pole sturdy, magnet is perfect and pump height can be adjusted and if option is added to swivle the pump up or down that will be cherry on top of the cake,

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need the thruster, Basic ESC (signal) power supply and commander or Arduino Uno board and I can share the sketch with you that you can copy paste in arduino,
I would love the sketch. I'm putting one of these together now. I have a 750 gallon 10 foot tank that I need to replace some powerheads on. I have some DIY sea sweeps I control with Arduino,

How many GPH do you think one T200 pushes at the power level you are running them ? (was it 60% of max)?

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love the sketch. I'm putting one of these together now. I have a 750 gallon 10 foot tank that I need to replace some powerheads on. I have some DIY sea sweeps I control with Arduino,

How many GPH do you think one T200 pushes at the power level you are running them ? (was it 60% of max)?

Let me save some money, I found this company since I was looking for more thrusters for my sump and saltwater mixing station, customer service is second to none, I send email asking question and I got reply back from them in 1 hr, below is the link, they sell all sizes thrusters and U2 model is similar to T200 but 1/2 the cost they also sell the basic east you want the one that can make thruster go forward and reverse. I will share the sketch with you for Arduino Uno and you can modify based on your requirements.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me save some money, I found this company since I was looking for more thrusters for my sump and saltwater mixing station, customer service is second to none, I send email asking question and I got reply back from them in 1 hr, below is the link, they sell all sizes thrusters and U2 model is similar to T200 but 1/2 the cost they also sell the basic east you want the one that can make thruster go forward and reverse. I will share the sketch with you for Arduino Uno and you can modify based on your requirements.

I doubt this is reef safe. Look at those threaded inserts.

For the savings it's definitely worth getting and modifying. But you're going to have to remove those. And if you're wanting to utilize those replace them with at least 316 stainless.

The unknown is what else in that build isn't reef safe?
Screenshot_20231010_105549_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For the savings it's definitely worth getting and modifying. But you're going to have to remove those. And if you're wanting to utilize those replace them with at least 316 stainless.

I fill these with epoxy since I don't use these mounting holes, I don't see the concern with these brass mounting holes,

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The unknown is what else in that build isn't reef safe? you can send this in regards to motor, there is video for the motor on youtube by blue robotics which explains the parts used for these thrusters, I have used many branded items ecotech for an example, their ATO magnet opened up in my tank without me knowing from how long, MP60 wetside magnet swelled up and separating from glass, sitting in my tank for months before I got it out and checked magnet epoxy bused etc, so nothing is reef safe now a days just my opinion,

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are the ones I was considering as well

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unknown is what else in that build isn't reef safe? you can send this in regards to motor, there is video for the motor on youtube by blue robotics which explains the parts used for these thrusters, I have used many branded items ecotech for an example, their ATO magnet opened up in my tank without me knowing from how long, MP60 wetside magnet swelled up and separating from glass, sitting in my tank for months before I got it out and checked magnet epoxy bused etc, so nothing is reef safe now a days just my opinion,
I wasn't trying to engage in a debate over known facts. I wasn't trying to say what you're doing is wrong, I was merely pointing out that those are big red flags.

I wouldn't trust epoxy to seal the brass inserts, I would remove them completely, especially with how a little heat can remove them completely.

Ecotech doesn't make an ato, but I get your point. The difference between companies designing equipment for reef environments are that they take the proper precautions.

No reputable company would blatantly create a product to submerge in a reef tank with exposed brass.

I like the idea of finding products that aren't made for our hobby and thus don't have the high price tag and figuring out how to integrate them into the reefing environment.

But with that you have to understand the limitations, know what you're looking for and be open when people point out obvious concerns.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to engage in a debate over known facts. I wasn't trying to say what you're doing is wrong, I was merely pointing out that those are big red flags.

I wouldn't trust epoxy to seal the brass inserts, I would remove them completely, especially with how a little heat can remove them completely.

Ecotech doesn't make an ato, but I get your point. The difference between companies designing equipment for reef environments are that they take the proper precautions.

No reputable company would blatantly create a product to submerge in a reef tank with exposed brass.

I like the idea of finding products that aren't made for our hobby and thus don't have the high price tag and figuring out how to integrate them into the reefing environment.

But with that you have to understand the limitations, know what you're looking for and be open when people point out obvious concerns.
Probably just didn't consider the composition of brass. I do not believe they were starting a debate with you or anything like that. Seems to be a small miscommunication between the two of you. Hopefully it doesn't derail this thread.

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ones I was consi

I understand and thank you for bringing this up and I thought of the same concern as well but then I looked at my pumps and things went bad but took chance with these anyway, by the way Bluerobotics thrusters has stainless steel inserts in their pumps, I have 6 of these coming in mail I will post pictures soon,

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back