720 gallon acryllic

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just joined your forum. I've had a 180 gallon system at work (125 main display) for a few years and we just decided to upgrade. Just got our new tank unloaded from the truck after driving it 500 miles from where I picked it up.

It has a central overflow and I've been thinking how I want to best hide that.

signal-2019-09-30-181611-1.jpg

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R....and a monster it is! My first thought is to paint the back side black and this way the overflow blends in. If you're not comfortable in actually painting the tank, you could paint plastic signage board and put it up against the back of the tank.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously, I had a central overflow on my 5' x 5' x 3' tank. Hated it. It cut it down and moved it to one corner. It was a pain but well worth it.

Nice looking tank. I deep (high) is that tank?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R....and a monster it is! My first thought is to paint the back side black and this way the overflow blends in. If you're not comfortable in actually painting the tank, you could paint plastic signage board and put it up against the back of the tank.

Could be wrong but it looks like its a true center overflow ie in the center if the tank. If that is the case I hope you make all 4 sides visible!

What are the dimensions? While I've never had one, I love the look of tall tanks. They end up looking so much bigger than their actual size.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just joined your forum. I've had a 180 gallon system (125 main display) for a few years and just decided to upgrade. Just got my new tank unloaded from the truck after driving it 500 miles from where I picked it up.

It has a central overflow and I've been thinking how I want to best hide that.

signal-2019-09-30-181611-1.jpg
Congrats and My kind of tank. Being a big tank owner, I can give you tips on what type of pump, cleaner magnet, etc. IF needed. Beautiful tank !!

OP
OP
S

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be wrong but it looks like its a true center overflow ie in the center if the tank. If that is the case I hope you make all 4 sides visible!

What are the dimensions? While I've never had one, I love the look of tall tanks. They end up looking so much bigger than their actual size.

It is a true center overflow. My intention is to have 3 sides visble. One of the short sides will be against a wall with the fish room/sump on the other side of the wall.

The dimensions are a little over 4 feet high. 3 feet deep and 8 long. I am aware of the challenges with deep tanks but really like the look. It will be a reef tank.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not going to set it up as all 4 sides viewable I'd cut the overflow as well. Install one on the side that is not viewable. Think long and hard about it now because it will never be easier to change.

I tried to find it briefly but couldn't. There is one really nice tank that has center overflows. It's in a sunroom and I'm pretty sure it's based somewhere in MA. Also I believe it was TOTM on reefcentral a long time ago, but I think they are on R2R as well. Sorry that's not really a lot of information. I can see the tank in my head but don't recall the username.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back