using two return pumps for safety

boxgj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good afternoon i currently own a 50 gallon reef and i own one sicce sdc return pump the 6.0 version. i was considering getting another pump just in case one fails. now that i can use the sicce sdc to control in the apex via iota , i was considering obtaining another return pump for redundancy and also putting a manifold in my sump for my reactors, uv, and chiller and also control with the apex . i was considering getting another sdc or perhaps a vectra but my mind is edging towards another sicce since i can already control it in the apex as well and have an extra one just in case one fails! plus i love the 5 year warranty . but i also like the vectra but it cant be controlled in the apex but rather inside mobius instead. what are you guys reviews of the vectra? or should i just stick with another sdc ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the ability to control the Sicce through Apex Fusion was still in testing? If this isn’t the case, could you share a link with any details? I’d love to get my 9.0 controlled through my Apex.

With respect to pumps, I haven’t herd anything good about the Vectras, so I’d stick with sicce.

OP
OP
B

boxgj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have the 6.0 in my reef now . I'm going to buy another 6.0 to run a manifold and accessories. i want one for just straight return and the other for accessories and the chiller. plus just in case one fails i have a back up

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
B

boxgj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The 9.0 doesn’t seem to support IOTA, but apparently a Neptune Fusion upgrade is being tested.

I agree with icedearth - stick with what you have/know. 5-year warranty is hard to beat. I think the 7.0 is probably going to be overkill on a 50-gallon.
the 9.0 does support iota

OP
OP
B

boxgj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to do some digging then (the Apex couldn’t find it).
you have to make sure your pump firmware is fully updated and then you email sicce with the email you use to register your product and they will push the integration with the apex for you

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 2x 7.0 SDC on my 1500ltr and I'm really glad I've got the redundancy I've got one that runs through my uv and the other is direct to the display both with manifolds on them.
I work remote so I'm often away from home 10 days at a time. On this trip I've had my first problem with my pumps where one of the pumps is showing a huge increase of temperature (not sure if the cause yet) and I'm not due to arrive home for another 3 days. Luckily since I have that redundancy I can keep my tank ticking over (at a reduced flow) by turning the pump with a issue off and the other up to 100% (bit of oversight on my part running them at both 72% usually I should have make them both under 50% so one can carry the full run of the tank in this situation as it now sounds like a waterfall for my family who are still at home, oops)
So based on my experience I think a redundancy is a must have and I still think the sicce is a great pump and would go with that especially since you already have one that you like.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back