Utilitarian fish for a 29G biocube?

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: I want to do a mixed reef so only looking for reef safe fish! Also in addition to the fish I will grab standard CUC (hermits/snails)

I just got a used 29 gal biocube with a netting lid, am wondering what are some good fish to stock in there for algae and pest control.

I was thinking some sort of small blenny (tail spot?) and a hectors goby for the algae control. For the pest control I've heard so many conflicting things about wrasses - especially the 6 line - I am also considering a cleaner shrimp and/or peppermint shrimp. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail spot would be a good choice. They *can sometimes nip at SPS.

Don't forget about snails.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, the typical algae eaters, tangs and foxface, aren't going to work...

Lots of folks like lawnmower blennies in such a tank, but I've never had much luck with them.

Honestly, the best algae eating, small, reef safe fish I've ever seen are plain old mollies. Yeah, I don't really want them in my reef either, but they are very good algae eaters!

With such a small tank, I think I'd stick with snails. Nassarius for the sand bed, a mix of Nerite, Trochus, and Astraea for rock and glass, maybe a single Mexican turbo. Urchins will eat lots of algae, including the coraline algae you want to grow, so watch out for them... I'm not a hermit fan, but many folks would throw them in as well.

OP
OP
aydemir

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lots of folks like lawnmower blennies in such a tank, but I've never had much luck with them.

Honestly, the best algae eating, small, reef safe fish I've ever seen are plain old mollies. Yeah, I don't really want them in my reef either, but they are very good algae eaters!

With such a small tank, I think I'd stick with snails. Nassarius for the sand bed, a mix of Nerite, Trochus, and Astraea for rock and glass, maybe a single Mexican turbo. Urchins will eat lots of algae, including the coraline algae you want to grow, so watch out for them... I'm not a hermit fan, but many folks would throw them in as well.
Oh yeah I love nassarius snails. Have you had turbos knock stuff over? I had a single turbo in a 10 gal and it bulldozed everything, had like 3 sps knocked over in one night it was super frustrating. I am currently on the fence if I will even have snails for this reason but am leaning towards having some of the smaller types (also open to recommendations on snails)

OP
OP
aydemir

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oh about the mollies - would they do best as a small school or is a single going to be okay?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh about the mollies - would they do best as a small school or is a single going to be okay?
Yup... Turbos can be bulldozers, but I like 'em :D. I like Conch too, fighting conch, usually, but in a nano, not so much.

Mollies: If I were wanting them in my reef, I'd probably pick up a trio or quartet of healthy freshies, and start the conversion process. It's not difficult, takes a little time. The plain (and cheap!) black ones are fairly attractive under reef lighting :D

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back