Utility bucket as an algae scrubber?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all think about using a utility bucket as an algae scrubber?

I'm looking at adding something like this to sit in the front chamber on the ruby cube 20 sump.

1635015983927.png

It wouldn't sit flush there, but the tapered bucket allows it to at least fit in the sump to an extent.

The opening to the third sump taking the rim into account is about 7" wide or just under.

Thinking about using this with 2 drain holes in one end to drain back into the sump and have the other end of the bucket fed by the output from the UV sterilizer. I could put the mesh stuff used in algae scrubbers horizontally on the bottom of the bucket and light it with some basic light from box store. Thoughts in this with regards to very limited work space? Waiting on the turbo scrubbers to come out is taking quite a while.

The tapered bucket would have to sit in this front chamber of my sump, and I have very little room left in there. Filled with rocks and heaters.
1635016106044.png

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you all think about using a utility bucket as an algae scrubber?

I'm looking at adding something like this to sit in the front chamber on the ruby cube 20 sump.

1635015983927.png

It wouldn't sit flush there, but the tapered bucket allows it to at least fit in the sump to an extent.

The opening to the third sump taking the rim into account is about 7" wide or just under.

Thinking about using this with 2 drain holes in one end to drain back into the sump and have the other end of the bucket fed by the output from the UV sterilizer. I could put the mesh stuff used in algae scrubbers horizontally on the bottom of the bucket and light it with some basic light from box store. Thoughts in this with regards to very limited work space? Waiting on the turbo scrubbers to come out is taking quite a while.

The tapered bucket would have to sit in this front chamber of my sump, and I have very little room left in there. Filled with rocks and heaters.
1635016106044.png
I use a kitty litter bucket, a small powerhead for circulation, and a clamp on 5500K LED spot light for Ulva. With just the bucket, the Ulva spent too much time near the bottom of the bucket away from the light. To force the Ulva to stay near the surface and the spotlight, I fashioned a raised bottom of coarse plastic mesh just a 2-4 inches from surface of the water. The Ulva now doubles in size every 7 days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back