UV and fitting dilemma

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought Aquaclear 15 watt UV sterilizer for my 54 gallons system, the original plan was to hook it up with silicon tubing, short run to my 256 GPH syncra pump 1.0. But after i got the UV yesrerday, it turned out i have no space for it under the sump.

The UV have to be mounted outside my tank. But now the questions in my head is since the UV have to be a little bit further away from the tank and not under it. And the fact that im going to run longer tubing to reach my sump. Wouldnt my 256 GPH pump be worthless? Since it wouldnt keep up with that distance, and maneuvers with the tubing? And if so what pump do you guys recommend? The purpose of this UV is DINOS, and algae in general. Current treatment, and future preventative.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is maybe. Do you know how long the tubing would be? We would need to know the distance to the UV and back.
Okay its going to be like 6 feet each run maybe 5 but nothing less than that to reach my sump. I reallt dont mind returning that pump if i habe to go with something bigger.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought Aquaclear 15 watt UV sterilizer for my 54 gallons system, the original plan was to hook it up with silicon tubing, short run to my 256 GPH syncra pump 1.0. But after i got the UV yesrerday, it turned out i have no space for it under the sump.

The UV have to be mounted outside my tank. But now the questions in my head is since the UV have to be a little bit further away from the tank and not under it. And the fact that im going to run longer tubing to reach my sump. Wouldnt my 256 GPH pump be worthless? Since it wouldnt keep up with that distance, and maneuvers with the tubing? And if so what pump do you guys recommend? The purpose of this UV is DINOS, and algae in general. Current treatment, and future preventative.
I’d suggest getting a larger rated pump that’s controllable and then get a flow sensor right next to the UV and adjust the pump with either it’s controls or a ball valve to get the flow rate in the UV to what it should be

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think people way overthink UV flow rate. I have the Aqua UV Chart below. 30,000-45,00 Is the recommended kill rate for Dinos so you would need a flow rate between 466 and 700 GPH. Chances are your return pump is in this range so you can probably just run your return pump through the unit and have no problems and no secondary pump. If you like Sicce and want to plumb the unit 6 feet away then you need a very large model. None of the syncra's can do it and if I am reading the ADV and SDC pump curves correctly I think the ADV 10 is the only pump that comes close to this flow rate at this head pressure.

Aqua UV Sizing Chart.jpg

Can you send a picture of your stand? If it is at all possible to fit the unit in your stand and use your return pump then this will make the install far simpler.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think people way overthink UV flow rate. I have the Aqua UV Chart below. 30,000-45,00 Is the recommended kill rate for Dinos so you would need a flow rate between 466 and 700 GPH. Chances are your return pump is in this range so you can probably just run your return pump through the unit and have no problems and no secondary pump. If you like Sicce and want to plumb the unit 6 feet away then you need a very large model. None of the syncra's can do it and if I am reading the ADV and SDC pump curves correctly I think the ADV 10 is the only pump that comes close to this flow rate at this head pressure.

Aqua UV Sizing Chart.jpg

Can you send a picture of your stand? If it is at all possible to fit the unit in your stand and use your return pump then this will make the install far simpler.
I dont want to plumb nothing from my return pump, and mess with that and i just prefer to have seperate pump. Heres a video.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s plenty of room under there for a UV. Just put it up in the ceiling of the stand.

I prefer running a separate pump for uv for ease of maintenance.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s plenty of room under there for a UV. Just put it up in the ceiling of the stand.

I prefer running a separate pump for uv for ease of maintenance.
Im terrified to drill the clamps in the ceiline wouldnt the stand collapse? Im jk. But thats what goes into my head

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely drill clamps in. These are the ones I have used. Just make sure your screws aren't longer than the stand walls or ceiling.

Please reference the chart I posted for the flow rate 244 is the parasite kill rate, not the algae kill rate.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely drill clamps in. These are the ones I have used. Just make sure your screws aren't longer than the stand walls or ceiling.

Please reference the chart I posted for the flow rate 244 is the parasite kill rate, not the algae kill rate.
Im confused a little bit by the chart to be honest if yoi can help me out . It doesnt mention like dinos or anything on it. I cant understand it.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chart lists differing amounts of UV exposure and the flow rate needed per unit to reach that sterilization level. 30,000-45,000 is the range recommended for Algae and Bacteria. So it is what you should use for Dinos.

Attachments

• Aqua UV Sizing Chart.jpg
    Aqua UV Sizing Chart.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 30

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@charbel101 I'm not sure if you are still doing this or have tested the flow from this unit and pump. I have this same unit and it works well, but not with a 1.0 pump. In fact, if you are using a 3.0 and turn it down, with the tubing that would hold this securely and keep it from falling, you'll get 150GPH or so.

I do see the multiple threads on this matter and perhaps are using a better pump now, but one will not want to run silicone tubing. It's a likelihood that yur choice will be something like 5/8 OD and 1/2 ID to fit the barb on the pump or tank and to ensure your UV doesn't come loose under pressure. I can attest that measuring something of this setup, with I think you mentioned 6 feet of head pressure, will likely provide you with not more than 350 GPH or a wet floor.

I recommend to maximize that 3/4 barb and get a pump to match, use flex flow PVC or PEX if you need to, but don't use tubing, limit your connectors/fittings for barbs and use a slightly larger pump that is adjustable. AC pumps will work but a good DC pump is generally preferred. If you have an Apex or controller, get one that has leak detection and if this is a Neptune Systems product, consider the COR15.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back