5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank info:
red sea 650P
pentair 40W UV

looks like my UV which I got for the 750XXL i was going to set up but never happened...does not fit inside my sump.
so looking to plumb it out side the tank or possibility the basement.

in trying to figure out my plumbing if I can run it off a manifold or stand along pump I am a bit confused on the flow rate.
I know there are 2 flow rates a slow one for Protozoa and a faster one for Algae and Bacteria.

here is what pentair says:
Water Flow Rate Algae and Bacteria 30,000 µWs/cm² Suggested 943 GPH Maximum 1574 GPH

Water Flow Rate for Protozoa 180,000 µWs/cm² Suggested 157 GPH & Maximum262

I know in an idea world we could run 2 units 1 for algae and bac, the other for protozoa but sadly with the cost and space requirements that happen right now maybe in the future?

so I guess i am wondering what flow rate are most ppl having success with?

if you ran a slower flow rate did you find it help with fish disease? I know if will not eradicate but help keep things at a more manageable level.
did you also find it help with clear water and algae issues?

and for those of you that run a faster flow rate did it help with algae and clear water?

it would seem to me if you had to pick one maybe the protozoa might be better as you could get possible benefits of both?

I will be running more of a naturalistic type of system with some ocean LR lots of bac, and real live foods the bac. up and stable and ATS as the main filter along with a skimmer. but I dont mind using things like a UV too.

I guess what I am looking for from my UV in help clear the water and keep it crystal clear help with any algae issues and if I am luck keep the system healthy.

any one plump the UV so thay can change the flow rate and the tank needs change?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine for protozoa at first got my fish nice and healthy I switched it over to come by algae and bacteria haven't had a problem with ich or anything since

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idea: Put a ball valve in front of it to control the flow.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idea: Put a ball valve in front of it to control the flow.

yeah I was thinking of a gate valve but same idea. I guess that is the simplest method to keep me plumbing my manifold.
the problem woth adding it out side the tanks is all the plumbing it takes to get it to the UV and back to the sump.

thought about running it on to the tank after the UV but I have a nice new clear view lid coming in a cpl days after 2 months in production dont want to go cutting it as soon as it gets here.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on a valve to control flow. FWIW the Pentair UV's can be run on their side as long as they are positioned so air is flushed out of them. The downside is when they need to be serviced there's a fair amount of water that has to be dealt with when they are opened.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on a valve to control flow. FWIW the Pentair UV's can be run on their side as long as they are positioned so air is flushed out of them. The downside is when they need to be serviced there's a fair amount of water that has to be dealt with when they are opened.
I remember reading that. thanks for the heads up. looks like I will be standing it even if I do the basement install.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back