UV Flow too slow = over sterilizing?

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering buying a UV for my new AIO 22.5g build.
I want to buy a sterilizer that keeps up with my return pump so it can turn over my tank fast enough for algae and fish disease control at the same time. Is this a bad idea?

My return pump runs at 266gph and I am afraid the head pressure will slow it down too much.
Should I worry at all about oversterilizing if I buy the 15w (233 gph disease control) or the 8w (214 gph)

edit: the pump will be pumping water up over the edge of the tank then straight down to the UV and then to wherever I decide to return. I Might place it before my HoB refugium or my actual return pump. Both are the same pump.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how it looks. I'm thinking either before the refugium or on the return pump line. I have 2 of the same pump so if I put it before the refugium then the head pressure will keep that pump slightly slower than the main return at all times. The pumps have controllers anyway.

Attachments

• 20230129_140709[1].jpg
    20230129_140709[1].jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 96

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering buying a UV for my new AIO 22.5g build.
I want to buy a sterilizer that keeps up with my return pump so it can turn over my tank fast enough for algae and fish disease control at the same time. Is this a bad idea?

My return pump runs at 266gph and I am afraid the head pressure will slow it down too much.
Should I worry at all about oversterilizing if I buy the 15w (233 gph disease control) or the 8w (214 gph)

edit: the pump will be pumping water up over the edge of the tank then straight down to the UV and then to wherever I decide to return. I Might place it before my HoB refugium or my actual return pump. Both are the same pump.
Depending on what you are trying to achieve you can't really overdo it.

I'm running 120 gph through a 40W Pentair UV as its primary job is to control Marine Ich.
Any faster and it wont do the job.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gbroadbridge
Is there a certain UV dose you aim for? I read 100,000 µw/cm2 will kill ick.
Aqua Ultraviolets website says the AV 2000+ will reach 90,000 µw/cm2 at 233 gph. I can run my pumps in that range and it would still be turning over the entire nano tank enough for algae control.

I answered my threads question though by actually looking up the numbers just now.

AU 15w seems perfect. I put it before my refugium, slow the pump some and I can keep the main return pump at max.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gbroadbridge
Is there a certain UV dose you aim for? I read 100,000 µw/cm2 will kill ick.
Aqua Ultraviolets website says the AV 2000+ will reach 90,000 µw/cm2 at 233 gph. I can run my pumps in that range and it would still be turning over the entire nano tank enough for algae control.

I answered my threads question though by actually looking up the numbers just now.

AU 15w seems perfect. I put it before my refugium, slow the pump some and I can keep the main return pump at max.
To sterilize Marine Ich you need an exposure >= 280,000 uw/cm2.
90,000 is for freshwater Ich.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manufacturers websites aren't useful who woulda thought...
After more number reading I found a more useful chart lol

Well the much slower speed makes it much easier to place into my system somewhere.
Thanks @gbroadbridge

EDIT: the chart
1675212144717.png

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manufacturers websites aren't useful who woulda thought...
After more number reading I found a more useful chart lol

Well the much slower speed makes it much easier to place into my system somewhere.
Thanks @gbroadbridge

EDIT: the chart
1675212144717.png
That is a great chart!

I'm so happy to see that finally some retailers are doing the right thing, and using real world numbers, instead of quoting ancient nonsense in order to secure sales.

Thanks for posting.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back