Adding a UV sterilizer to my setup

  • Thread starter Thread starter BriDroid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BriDroid

I glue animals to rocks.
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
1,703
Reaction score
2,309
Location
Prosper, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tired of cloudy water so I ordered an Aqua Ultraviolet 15W classic sterilizer over the weekend for my 40 gallon. I could have went with the 8W, but I also read bigger is better in most cases with UV.

My question is can I just put that on the output of my return pump? I’m thinking I’ll be ok even if it slows down my flow some. I’m only running my Varios2 at 60%, so I have a lot of room to bump it up if needed. My return is all 3/4” silicone tubing, so the 3/4” barbs on the UV will fit in perfectly.

Everything I’m reading says that I need a manifold out of the pump, but I really don’t want to deal with that if I don’t have too
 
My question is can I just put that on the output of my return pump?
For water clarification? Absolutely!

IMG_1245.png


Your silicone tubing’s barbed fittings are closer to 5/8” Inside Diameter, so you’d be lucky to reach 600GPH, even at 100% pump power (frictional losses in the plumbing means flow gains hit a proverbial wall beyond a certain GPH, unless you dramatically increase pressure! [more pressure than a traditional submersible water pump can even produce])

If you wanted to control parasites, or other multi-celled organisms; turn your return pump way down close to that listed minimum flow rate!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new