UV Glass?? Yes or No

  • Thread starter Thread starter TANKSALOT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TANKSALOT

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
698
Reaction score
4
Location
Florida's Space Coast
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to run 3 - 250w MH on my new 180.
I have a friend that has 2 brand new reflectors with single ended (SE) sockets, but no UV Glass.
Another eefer has 3 almost new reflectors with single ended (SE) sockets with the UV Glass.

Do I need the UV Glass on a single ended lamp?

I believe that it is only required on the double ended (DE) lamps.

TANKSALOT
aka - Steve
 
No you do not need it on a SE lamp. :)
 
Last edited:
Not required on a SE lamp. I have seen some people put them on just to keep salt spray off the bulb. I am running a SE bulb on my temp system and once a week I take the bulb and wipe it off from the salt spray.
 
No you do not need it on a DE lamp. :)

NO i think he meant SE.
Single ended is fine but DE no no...It will smokes all yr corals in a short period of time but however I was told that it is okay only if your DE is hanging high something like 20" < above your water surface.
 
SE bulbs have the UV shielding built into the glass on the bulb. DE do not and therefore require a piece of UV shielding glass on the fixture to filter all light.
 
not needed on most SE bulbs but there are a couple that need it and if your not sure check with the maker.
 
Last edited:
arggg I meant to say SE!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new