Uv light/ground probe for shark tank

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system hold 775 gallons total but is currently only holding 600 gallons due to half full sump and rock work

What electric probe and UV light would you recommend for 600 gallons

Recently lost a Japanese Leopard shark and adult white spotted bamboo shark

Trying to protect the remaining baby bamboo sharks. Thank you

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use a 120 watt Lifegard Aquatics UV sterilizer for my 420 gallon tank. There are a lot of things to consider when getting a large UV sterilizer. The biggest 2 concerns are you will need a chiller, or you won't be able to run the UV 24/7 as it will heat your water hot. My tank would get 90F with the just the UV running, no heater (Before anything live was in the tank of course). Also, it will kill the majority of your micro organisms that are beneficial. This includes all pods and other beneficial micro organisms so you will not be able to keep specialized fish whose diet consists mainly of these like Mandarins.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A company called Quality Marine makes 330w and 440w sterilizers for giant aquariums.
They make a chain a 55W sterilizers which doesn't really make them more powerful you just get longer contact time. I don't know if those are any more effective than 1 55W sterilizer if you have the flow rate right.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I ordered the ground probe from eBay. Most expensive one but I'm pretty sure all the same.

Thanks for info on UV light heating water if extremely powerful.

I've read that 30 watts is all that's needed to sterilize 1000 gallon. 50 watts if very slow water flow rate.

Since it's 600 gallons I'm thinking 30 watt is enough to sterilize.

Thoughts?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you. I ordered the ground probe from eBay. Most expensive one but I'm pretty sure all the same.

Thanks for info on UV light heating water if extremely powerful.

I've read that 30 watts is all that's needed to sterilize 1000 gallon. 50 watts if very slow water flow rate.

Since it's 600 gallons I'm thinking 30 watt is enough to sterilize.

Thoughts?
Any UV sterilizer can sterilize water, the issue on unit size is how fast you can get flow through it to sterilize all of your water. You want around 2x tank turnover per hour, at the very least 1x total volume per hour through your UV. With a 30 watt sterilizer running 600 gph through it would not sterilize parasties/protozoan.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1200 gallon pond. I use a 13 watt being pumped at 600 gallons per hour.

Not sterilized of course, but keeps the water nice and clear.

So much science to this. I've always thought that slower was actually better.

Example. 300 gallons per hour at 30 watts. Takes 2 hours for complete 600 gallon tank but everything destroyed.

What would you recommend aspect?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 1200 gallon pond. I use a 13 watt being pumped at 600 gallons per hour.

Not sterilized of course, but keeps the water nice and clear.

So much science to this. I've always thought that slower was actually better.

Example. 300 gallons per hour at 30 watts. Takes 2 hours for complete 600 gallon tank but everything destroyed.

What would you recommend aspect?
It does not require much to sterilize algae/bacteria that clouds water. 13 watts would be enough for that. For your system I'd recommend at least an 80 watt with at least 600 gph flow. It takes a lot more sterilization power to kill off parasites/protozoan than algae/bacteria.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back