UV placement

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all!

I had a question. I had an outbreak from Dino in the past and had a jebao uv that just sits on my overflow box. Of course it’s not pretty but it was really effective since it was circulating all my display water. Unfortunately this tank sits in my formal living and the look of the uv is not ok hah. I finally after some thinking bought myself a aqua uv 57 watt unit for my Red Sea 350. It’s a bit much haha but I got a great deal! Would you recommend a way to plumb it?

I’ve read closed loops right from display are great but with my situation it won’t work.

Option 1 So I’m wondering I should run the uv off the return and back into the sump.

Option 2 Do you think running a separate pump in the sump and having the water just return back to the sump is fine? I’m curious if this will be as efficient?

Any help would be great.
I have a Red Sea 350 and of course there isn’t much room to play with.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I run mine, it runs off my return pump via manifold and back into the sump.

If you tee off the return pump, use a ball valve before the UV unit to slow it's flow so it will be more effective, then back to the sump.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all!

I had a question. I had an outbreak from Dino in the past and had a jebao uv that just sits on my overflow box. Of course it’s not pretty but it was really effective since it was circulating all my display water. Unfortunately this tank sits in my formal living and the look of the uv is not ok hah. I finally after some thinking bought myself a aqua uv 57 watt unit for my Red Sea 350. It’s a bit much haha but I got a great deal! Would you recommend a way to plumb it?

I’ve read closed loops right from display are great but with my situation it won’t work.

Option 1 So I’m wondering I should run the uv off the return and back into the sump.

Option 2 Do you think running a separate pump in the sump and having the water just return back to the sump is fine? I’m curious if this will be as efficient?

Any help would be great.
I have a Red Sea 350 and of course there isn’t much room to play with.
DT to DT is most efficient. Since you can’t do that, option 1 is next most efficient. Option 2 is likely easiest so you might try that first, especially with your tank size. If you have high sump to DT turnover it might not matter much anyway. I’m in the same situation, but a 180 gallon tank. I originally was going DT to DT, but then went sump to sump when I thought my dinos were gone. Unfortunately, going back DT to DT this weekend...

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I run mine, it runs off my return pump via manifold and back into the sump.

If you tee off the return pump, use a ball valve before the UV unit to slow it's flow so it will be more effective, then back to the sump.

Ok good to know. Thank you!!

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT to DT is most efficient. Since you can’t do that, option 1 is next most efficient. Option 2 is likely easiest so you might try that first, especially with your tank size. If you have high sump to DT turnover it might not matter much anyway. I’m in the same situation, but a 180 gallon tank. I originally was going DT to DT, but then went sump to sump when I thought my dinos were gone. Unfortunately, going back DT to DT this weekend...

Are you saying that after you put the uv to the sump? You had the Dino return?

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had UV in the sump and my dinos went away and no visible signs since April. I believe it’s better in DT, but I didn’t have a good way to do that. Plumbing the UV within a closed loop in the sump return chamber was the only good option. I personally believe the elevated nutrients and increased bio diversity is the real thing that beats dinos. The UV is just extra and kills the Dino population sooner.

Here’s my post after 6 weeks of running UV and elevated nutrients
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...tling-altogether.293318/page-189#post-4618748

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back