UV Quartz Sleeve Totaly Calcified

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would cause this kind of calcification so quickly? This the tank has been up with the UV on for probably 2-3 months. I'm assuming it's calcification because the only way I could get it off was to soak it in vinegar, and even then I was scrubbing it with a clean kitchen scrubber.

Temperature 79
pH around 8
Alk is steady around 8.5-9
Calcium is mid 400's (can't get it to go down)
Magnesium is 1400

20200902_204244.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it happens when you leave the U.V. on when your return or whatever pump is turned off. The bulb gets so hot it cools the stuff to it.

OP
OP
OsiViper

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it happens when you leave the U.V. on when your return or whatever pump is turned off. The bulb gets so hot it cools the stuff to it.
Ahh ****, that's probably it. I meant to program the UV outlet to turn off when the return pump goes off but I totally forgot.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine every six months. Mine runs 24/7 and shuts off when there is no flow. I use citric acid. Works better than vinegar and faster. I fill a pvc pipe with RO/citric acid mixture and in the sleeve goes for 20 minutes.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would cause this kind of calcification so quickly? This the tank has been up with the UV on for probably 2-3 months. I'm assuming it's calcification because the only way I could get it off was to soak it in vinegar, and even then I was scrubbing it with a clean kitchen scrubber.

Temperature 79
pH around 8
Alk is steady around 8.5-9
Calcium is mid 400's (can't get it to go down)
Magnesium is 1400

20200902_204244.jpg
Wow thats a lot! Higher temperatures increase calcium carbonate precipitation. The same thing happens on heaters. If your flow is too slow, it will be too hot and that will form the calcium deposits. What unit is it?

OP
OP
OsiViper

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats a lot! Higher temperatures increase calcium carbonate precipitation. The same thing happens on heaters. If your flow is too slow, it will be too hot and that will form the calcium deposits. What unit is it?
Sterilizer is Aqua Ultraviolet 57 Watt.
It is WAY oversized for my system, but the entire tank flow goes through it which is around 980-1000 GPH.

I think the problem is what bubbaque said, I had forgotten to turn the UV off when I stopped the return pump for feeding or maintenance; especially longer maintenence when I'm doing a more thorough cleaning and pump was off for 30+ minutes.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sterilizer is Aqua Ultraviolet 57 Watt.
It is WAY oversized for my system, but the entire tank flow goes through it which is around 980-1000 GPH.

I think the problem is what bubbaque said, I had forgotten to turn the UV off when I stopped the return pump for feeding or maintenance; especially longer maintenence when I'm doing a more thorough cleaning and pump was off for 30+ minutes.
Did you notice the more algae growth because it got covered and working less or the same as day 1?

OP
OP
OsiViper

OsiViper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually started getting bad algae over the past week. Doing a larger water change, cleaning tank and sump was the main reason I decided to check it. It has a window at the end where you can see some UV light spill so you know it's on. Problem is I have cabinet lighting that turns on in the sump when the door opens, and with that light on you can't see the UV. I decided to check it when doing the maintenence, and normally it's a bright violet color, but it was a dull white light that was almost too dim to see even in the dark.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back