Reef Factory KH Keeper Plus - my experience (so far)

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was posted in a thread about Reef factory in general but feel that is really needs a thread in the equipment section dedicated to this specific piece of equipment, not the company as a whole. So, here is my recent experience with the RF KH Keeper Plus.

Well, I ignored the bad reviews in favor of the good ones as all the units available seem to have WiFi connection issues. This one checked all the boxes for me so I got one (KH Keeper plus) and this is my experience so far.

So far, I am excited, but frustrated. The setup took A LOT longer than I thought it would. I had some issues getting the Wifi connected. Some was on my end not remembering the proper login password, but even after that I had issues. This was resolved after reading a thread and setting up the Smart Reef account prior, then logging in through that account and using the "add a device". It's been pretty good since I got it logged in with solid connection both locally and remotely sans a few short disconnects. I tried updating the software and that failed twice so far so I am still using whatever it came with. Trying to set it up via the recommended method they have on Youtube was a no go for me.

As for the unit mechanically, well, it's been interesting to say the least. The dosing pump (that brings the water in from the aquarium) just clicked and didn't move or pump at all. Seems that is was stuck or something and after many attempts it finally freed up and pumps well now. That was concerning. Then I had issues getting the reagent to draw up. That pump wouldn't fully draw the reagent up from where I had the reservoir placed (on the floor with the unit about 16 inches above it). I had to move the reagent container up to being the same level as the unit and now it draws fine, except (see below).

I had several issues with the pump calibrations too. Using the scale method as described and recommended, I NEVER got the same reading even once for the aquarium water calibration volume. If I recall the weights (they have you measure the calibration amount by weight and divide it by the weight of seawater). If I recall it varied from 2.12 up to almost 2.5. That was a large deviation. I did 10 trials (time consuming) and averaged it. Honestly, it still pulled too much liquid every time. I ended up using the beaker and fudging the calibration number the scale should have provided until I was able to do the "accuracy test" and it distributed the correct amount (50ml I think). Clearly I should not have had to do that, but I did find a workaround and it's been accurate since. Then calibrating the reagent pump I noticed air bubbles in the fluid coming out of the pump. After closer inspection I noted they were in fact only after the pump. More on this later, but I will say they are sending me a replacement for that dosing head. Then, the pump that empties the beaker was not pulling up the fluid and had tons of bubbles. I couldn't believe it. After closer inspection I found the rigid plastic tube was cracked at the top allowing air in and breaking suction. I swapped that tube with the one that adds the tank water (since that doesn't need to be airtight) and it worked fine. I probably cracked it taking the beaker out during the setup by not raising the tubes up high enough bending the tubes as I removed the beaker.

As for the PH calibration, wow, some crazy stuff. The PH device looks snazzy and more fancy than the PH pen I have. Calibration appeared to go smoothly for the most part. Once the fluid was at the proper temp (25 C I think) I did the calibration. The accuracy test was good after a trial or two. However, when I run test now it consistently tells me that the tank water PH is WAY high. Seems to vary from 8.5 all the way up to 8.98. There is no way my tank has a PH of 9. I also have Reef Keeper with a PH monitor and for the last year it's shown my PH to consistently be between about 7.95 up to 8.4 depending on my last calibration. The KH keeper has never shown it to be under 8.5.

So far, the actual KH measure has generally been low. I'm getting readings of around 7.98 up to about 8.12. In comparison, today my HANNA tester (with pretty new reagent) was 8.3 and a Salifert test came back at 8.3 as well. So I'd say the KH keeper is about 2 units low.

So, at the end of the day I am digging having the ability to test and monitor remotely. I didn't think it would be a big deal but since my tank is at my office and I am often not around it I have found this capability very nice. I actually wish I would have done it earlier.

I have only had the unit for a week so the jury is still out as far as I am concerned. I think it needs to run some to break in and get stability. I am concerned one head started off stuck, and another is for sure not working properly. The PH thing is just wacky, but I wonder about calibrating at one temperature then testing tank water at another temperature. I'm getting some extra fluid and will play more with this.

As for customer service, I used the contact us page on the website and opened two cases. One for the cracked tube, and one for the bubbles in the line. I sent pictures of the lines with the bubbles. This was on Saturday and Sunday. To their credit I had a response today. I would have liked it to have been yesterday, but based on different time zones it was reasonable enough for me. I was told there is an extra tube supplied in the box (found that after looking but my fix is working fine so I will save that extra one) and for the pump they recognized the problem and said they will send the new pump head once I provided the info they needed (shipping address, proof of purchase, serial #, etc).

I like the unit, the price was OK, and it looks like it will provide consistent measures. Accuracy so far is questionable, but there are still variables to be addressed (like the PH and the reagent pump not functioning properly). It does offer an option to do a +/- to the readings to get it accurate, but honestly I don't care if it is dead accurate, but I do need it to be consistent. Time will tell how the rest of the customer service follow up will be (so far it's been good) and how the unit will hold up over time. Hopefully well, because I like the size of it, the price of it (sort of - expensive, but it's good relative to the competitors) and the capabilities it has. Fingers crossed it all pans out to smooth sailing. I highly doubt any of these types of devices are plug and play so it is what it is.

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Today I received an email from customer support that the new head has been shipped (this is one day after giving them the requested information) and some instruction regarding how to install it. Would have been nice to have a tracking number, but, per the email it has been shipped and hopefully I get it soon.

teaktoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... return it if you can. my box was damaged due to a lot of rain when I unpacked it during tank setup. The results are consistently laughable as they vary every time and any system that you can simply override an hour of calibration on with results from your hanna test kit is not a measuring or reference device. I'll be finding a buyer for mine for cheap.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aesthetic and I want to support a polish company but I think these devices are far too complex and end up needing several version iterations to be reliable

Thanks for posting this - definitely going to wait

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, another update. The customer support has been great so far. i got the head, and the install instructions and it was easy to do. Pumps now turn on and off as they should without bubbles.

On to the calibration. For some reason the pumps seems to vary a often. When I calibrate it and then test the accuracy it is often incorrect. It is supposed to dose 50ml +/- 0.05numbers. but it took me 10 tries to get it there and I had to fudge the input numbers. You dose for 60 seconds and enter the volume. They do it by weight. i tried it by weight and using a graduated cylinder. It never worked out right. I had to basically say it does more (or less) that it actually did and trial and error for it to finally dose 50ml. In fact I might do an accuracy test right now and see what it doses.

Overall I want to love this thing. For the price, and it's size...but, I'm not sure if it is getting the job done. Unfortunately I have added several clams recently and it is affecting my dosing schedule and alkalinity. So, whan the Reef Keeper shows numbers drifting I am not sure if it's error or actual. I have been back up testing with a HANNA (and then I have used the "correction" option in the RK software to have the results matched). Still, I see a lot more fluctuation with the RK then I do with the HANNA.

So far I find the RK Alk number can vary by +/- 0.2 Dkh vs the HANNA. That s a big margin of error when looking for stability and monitoring for swings. They say +/- 0.02. I'm keeping better track of the differences and will contact the customer support soon. I would by lying if I didn't say I am starting to wonder if the Alkatronic unit is any more reliable (though it's $250 more).

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say for the price - you think $700 for auto testing KH is a good price?

Even at the $500 on sale, the price seemed extremely high for me. Alk is really fast to test with a Hanna kit as it is...

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say for the price - you think $700 for auto testing KH is a good price?

Even at the $500 on sale, the price seemed extremely high for me. Alk is really fast to test with a Hanna kit as it is...
Agreed, it's absurd. Though all of the competition is several hundred dollars more.

The HANNA is quite good, simple and easy. However, I have a growing family and find myself taking more vacations away from home and need a way to remotely test. If I see a change and I KNOW IT IS ACCURATE I can either have someone come and check the tank and dosing and/or use WIFI to up or down the does of my Kamoer pump.

Biggie&Dinkles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I'm tremendously happy with the KH Keeper. Was leaning towards Alkatronic, but couldnt knock the KH Keeper back when its priced so competitive.

My tanks using around 2 dKH per day, and the rate varies quite a bit with the photoperiods of the tank and sump. Having the KH Keeper has provided insight to be able to tweak dosing amounts throughout the day to keep the swings minimised. There's no way I could be bothered to set alarms and test with my Hanna every couple of hours to get this type of data.

I do suspect the reagent supplied with the machine was slightly more concentrated than it was meant to be however. After recalibrating a few times, I was still getting low alk values when compared to Hanna and Salifert tests. For me, I had to set the machine to apply a + 0.4 dKH measurement offset with the initial reagent, which is easy to do in the app.

Ended up buying a 0.2000 N HCl volumetric standard solution from a science supplier (traceable and cheaper than Reef factory reagent), and diluting to 0.02 N with a volumetric pipette and flask. Now readings are in excellent agreement with the Hanna tester and fresh Hanna reagent.

In the past I've had dosing pumps run out or fail and I haven't detected if for a few days... Angering the corals and really setting them back.

I'm not sure I'd automate dosing base upon the KH Keeper yet, but I'm much more confidence I'll catch Alk issues and intervene before damage is done

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I'm tremendously happy with the KH Keeper. Was leaning towards Alkatronic, but couldnt knock the KH Keeper back when its priced so competitive.

My tanks using around 2 dKH per day, and the rate varies quite a bit with the photoperiods of the tank and sump. Having the KH Keeper has provided insight to be able to tweak dosing amounts throughout the day to keep the swings minimised. There's no way I could be bothered to set alarms and test with my Hanna every couple of hours to get this type of data.

I do suspect the reagent supplied with the machine was slightly more concentrated than it was meant to be however. After recalibrating a few times, I was still getting low alk values when compared to Hanna and Salifert tests. For me, I had to set the machine to apply a + 0.4 dKH measurement offset with the initial reagent, which is easy to do in the app.

Ended up buying a 0.2000 N HCl volumetric standard solution from a science supplier (traceable and cheaper than Reef factory reagent), and diluting to 0.02 N with a volumetric pipette and flask. Now readings are in excellent agreement with the Hanna tester and fresh Hanna reagent.
Cool.
In the past I've had dosing pumps run out or fail and I haven't detected if for a few days... Angering the corals and really setting them back.

I'm not sure I'd automate dosing base upon the KH Keeper yet, but I'm much more confidence I'll catch Alk issues and intervene before damage is done
Cool. Can you tell me more about the alternative reagent? Where did you get it and how did you prepare it?

I have used the "measurement adjustment" tool to try and "force" an agreement with the HANNA. That has helped some. I am also going to be testing the accuracy of the pumps more often. I still seem to be getting some drifting over time. Here is a weeks worth of data. From my experience so far even rounding the RK up or down there seems to be more drift (real or error) when looking at the RK numbers VS what the HANNA is telling me. The HANNA and RK measurements were taken at the same exact times.

I fiddled with my KALK dosing that's why there was the small drop and return on both the HANNA and RK measures later in the chart.

DateHannaKH KeeperAdjusted RK after measure
rounded
4/9/24 am8.48.63Ycalibrated KH keeper
4/9/24pm8.48.36N8.4
4/10/24am8.58.61N8.6
4/10/24 pm8.48.36N8.4
4/11/24am8.48.5N8.5
4/11/24 pm8.58.57N8.6
4/12/2024am8.58.56N8.6
4/12/24 pm8.58.58N8,6
4/13/20248.58.71N8.7
4/14/20248.68.52N8.5
4/15/2024am8.38.6N8.6
4/15/24pm8.48.7N8.7
4/16/24am8.48.55N8.6
recalibrated reagent
4/16/2024am8.38.67Y8.7
4/16/24 am8.38.468.5
4/17/20248.48.51N8.5
4/17/24am8.48.33N8.3
4/18/24am8.58.47N

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back