UV question

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2013
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
824
Location
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an Aqua Ultraviolet 57W UV and Eheim pump. My DT is around 200 gallons. I trust my LFS, however I think he just made a mistake? He gave me a 250GPH pump for it. That cannot be enough, can it? Shouldn't be around 500 GPH?
 
looked up the wrong info my apologies. But the slower the water passes through the unit the better. You could do more but I still think you're good.
 
The more time the water spends in front of the bulb the more effective it will be. So in my opinion a slow flow rate is fine. Just because the unit can handle more flow doesn't necessarily mean it has to. By all means get a new pump that will push more water, but I think what you have will be fine.
 
Slower=higher kill rate, you want enough to cycle you tank through at a nice pace but you do not want a jet stream lol I also think you will be fine
 
OK, just so everyone gets a clear picture...the water coming out isn't even filling the return tube and it's coming out at a slow trickle.
In that case, you might want to go a little higher but again that pump will cycle you tank about once an hour, which for a UV light is not bad.
 
Depends on what your trying to kill. Below is straight from the Aqua Ultraviolet website for your unit. Your really need to be up around 1000 gph for parasites. Hope this helps.

Classic 57 Watt
Fresh Water Sterilizer 1,500-3,000 gals / Flowrate - 3,200 gph for 30,000 µw/cm2
Fresh Water Clarifier to 6,500 gals
Salt Water Sterilizer to 355 gals / Flowrate - 1,066 gph for 90,000 µw/cm2


30,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 3200 gph 75,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 1280 gph
45,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 2133 gph 90,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 1066 gph
60,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 1600 gph
 
You should be able to run about 600gph thru that and get the results you want.....I have the same unit
 
Depends on what your trying to kill. Below is straight from the Aqua Ultraviolet website for your unit. Your really need to be up around 1000 gph for parasites. Hope this helps.

Classic 57 Watt
Fresh Water Sterilizer 1,500-3,000 gals / Flowrate - 3,200 gph for 30,000 µw/cm2
Fresh Water Clarifier to 6,500 gals
Salt Water Sterilizer to 355 gals / Flowrate - 1,066 gph for 90,000 µw/cm2


30,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 3200 gph 75,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 1280 gph
45,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 2133 gph 90,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 1066 gph
60,000 µw/cm2 (EOL) 1600 gph

Water clarity and disease prevention.
 
I run a 80 watt on my 200 gal and a 25 watt on my 80 gal. I run separate pumps for each of them at the flow rate for parasites. I think Aqua has done their home work as far as the flow rates, so we don't have to.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new