UV/Refugium or Zeovit? Or Both (all three)?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, between my available outlets and the physical space left in my sump, I have room for maybe one more piece of equipment for my tank. Trying to decide between adding a Zeovit reactor (and converting the tank over to a Zeovit system), or adding a good UV system. My reasoning for each:

Zeovit:
I'm drawn to the discipline and regimen of the Zeovit system. Sometimes I feel a little disconnected from my tank, and being forced to dose the little blue bottles would give my brain the excuse to spend time on the tank. I like that it takes an active approach to nutrient management and coral health, and I'm impressed with the coloration and results that many Zeovit tanks show. The expense is immaterial to me - it is expensive for what it is, but well within what I can spend on the tank.

However, I already have a very productive refugium in my tank, which does a fantastic job of keeping my nitrates under control (phosphates, not so much). Tons of microfauna in there as well. I know that the Zeovit system is supposed to be run without a refugium, and I don't really want to take it down. I'm also concerned about dinos in the Zeovit system; I do have recurring issues with dinos popping up (not plague-level by any means, but noticeable), and I know that low-nutrient environments (as Zeovit produces) can also encourage dinos to proliferate.

UV:
As I said, I've had recurring dino problems; the only time I was able to really eliminate them was when I was running a (smaller, underpowered) UV sterilizer that ended up failing in a way that could have been catastrophic. It also has seemed to help with cyano in the past - I don't have cyano issues right now, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future. The dinos seem indelibly attracted to my acro frags, usually appearing on the tips after no more than a day or so, so I'd be ecstatic if I could prevent that from happening. I also wouldn't mind clearer water.

The major problems I'm trying to address with whatever I add to the tank are poor SPS performance and the recurring dinos. The dinos are not plague level by any means, but I've seen how little time it takes for them to get to plague level once conditions are right. So I'd love to nip those in the bud before they can get established. That would seem to call for UV, but I don't know that adding UV would do much to help out my SPS corals. I suspect that the issue I'm having with my SPS corals is down to deficient microbial colonies (I started the tank with dry rock and bottled bacteria), so I think going Zeovit could help there... but Zeovit could also make the dino problem (which is currently fairly minor) worse.

So I'm at a bit of an impasse and not really sure which way to go. Both have their benefits, both have their drawbacks, neither really addresses what I'm worried about completely. What have been your experiences with Zeovit? Has the addition of UV had any impact, positive or negative, on the health of your SPS corals (esp. Acropora)?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with the UV decision. Get one overrated for your tank. Find the water absolutely clear and no algae problems.

Would fine tune the refugium to get the phosphates & nitrates where you want them. Do you have chaeto in there?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, between my available outlets and the physical space left in my sump, I have room for maybe one more piece of equipment for my tank. Trying to decide between adding a Zeovit reactor (and converting the tank over to a Zeovit system), or adding a good UV system. My reasoning for each:

Zeovit:
I'm drawn to the discipline and regimen of the Zeovit system. Sometimes I feel a little disconnected from my tank, and being forced to dose the little blue bottles would give my brain the excuse to spend time on the tank. I like that it takes an active approach to nutrient management and coral health, and I'm impressed with the coloration and results that many Zeovit tanks show. The expense is immaterial to me - it is expensive for what it is, but well within what I can spend on the tank.

However, I already have a very productive refugium in my tank, which does a fantastic job of keeping my nitrates under control (phosphates, not so much). Tons of microfauna in there as well. I know that the Zeovit system is supposed to be run without a refugium, and I don't really want to take it down. I'm also concerned about dinos in the Zeovit system; I do have recurring issues with dinos popping up (not plague-level by any means, but noticeable), and I know that low-nutrient environments (as Zeovit produces) can also encourage dinos to proliferate.

UV:
As I said, I've had recurring dino problems; the only time I was able to really eliminate them was when I was running a (smaller, underpowered) UV sterilizer that ended up failing in a way that could have been catastrophic. It also has seemed to help with cyano in the past - I don't have cyano issues right now, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future. The dinos seem indelibly attracted to my acro frags, usually appearing on the tips after no more than a day or so, so I'd be ecstatic if I could prevent that from happening. I also wouldn't mind clearer water.

The major problems I'm trying to address with whatever I add to the tank are poor SPS performance and the recurring dinos. The dinos are not plague level by any means, but I've seen how little time it takes for them to get to plague level once conditions are right. So I'd love to nip those in the bud before they can get established. That would seem to call for UV, but I don't know that adding UV would do much to help out my SPS corals. I suspect that the issue I'm having with my SPS corals is down to deficient microbial colonies (I started the tank with dry rock and bottled bacteria), so I think going Zeovit could help there... but Zeovit could also make the dino problem (which is currently fairly minor) worse.

So I'm at a bit of an impasse and not really sure which way to go. Both have their benefits, both have their drawbacks, neither really addresses what I'm worried about completely. What have been your experiences with Zeovit? Has the addition of UV had any impact, positive or negative, on the health of your SPS corals (esp. Acropora)?

If you have a method that works. Keep it. Anytime you go about changing things up, something is not going to be happy.

I would do neither. Your issues with cyano and dino sound like you keep bottoming out nitrate and phosphate which is bad for everything in the tank UNLESS you provide constant food sources that are the proper type and size that every coral in the tank would feed on. All the UV will do is kill possible food for filter feeders and create an unnatural biome of microorganisms within the tank (not saying that unnatural is necessarily bad, but that typically more microbe diversity the better). They can help with some dinos, but again you shoud not be having dinos and cyano constantly unless you keep getting 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate (or very close or practically 0 due to limitations of hobby grade test kit accuracy). It may help stop certain algae, but BRS did a video where they saw that it just shifted what type of algae grew (albeit this test was done to the best of their abilities but is not what I would call strong evidence).

The zeovit method is just going to add more work. Color has nothing to do with zeovit and is a result of lighting, nitrate, phosphate, and possibly certain elements to a degree. Keep in mind getting those "pastel" colors in sps famous in the zeovit method may be a result of keeping the coral borderline alive by forcing them to have very little zooxanthellae. If you want to run a reef border-lining death in order to get more color then go for it but just remember that you are always a step away from killing the corals. However, I am not saying that you shouldn't use any of their products. I just HIGHLY disagree with the use of an ULNS unless you can guarantee that the tank is receiving constant nitrogen and phosphorus input.

Last edited:

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a method that works. Keep it. Anytime you go about changing things up, something is not going to be happy.

I would do neither. Your issues with cyano and dino sound like you keep bottoming out nitrate and phosphate which is bad for everything in the tank UNLESS you provide constant food sources that are the proper type and size that every coral in the tank would feed on. All the UV will do is kill possible food for filter feeders and create an unnatural biome of microorganisms within the tank (not saying that unnatural is necessarily bad, but that typically more microbe diversity the better). They can help with some dinos, but again you shoud not be having dinos and cyano constantly unless you keep getting 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate (or very close or practically 0 due to limitations of hobby grade test kit accuracy). It may help stop certain algae, but BRS did a video where they saw that it just shifted what type of algae grew (albeit this test was done to the best of their abilities but is not what I would call strong evidence).

The zeovit method is just going to add more work. Color has nothing to do with zeovit and is a result of lighting, nitrate, phosphate, and possibly certain elements to a degree. Keep in mind getting those "pastel" colors in sps famous in the zeovit method may be a result of keeping the coral borderline alive by forcing them to have very little zooxanthellae. If you want to run a reef border-lining death in order to get more color then go for it but just remember that you are always a step away from killing the corals. However, I am not saying that you shouldn't use any of their products. I just HIGHLY disagree with the use of an ULNS unless you can guarantee that the tank is receiving constant nitrogen and phosphorus input.

I would listen to this person.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back