UV return.

Cuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Reefer 250, but am a little confused with where to put my return for the UV. The main return had been upgraded to a jebao DCT-6000. Plenty of power to run both return and uv. Now where do I channel the sterilized water back into?? Going back into the return section of the sump kinda causes a lot of redundancy.... I know plumbing it back into the tank is the best way to go, but I'm trying to keep it clean. Where else could I drain the already processed water?? Should I just put it back into the skimmer section of the sump???

OP
OP
C

Cuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a chiller... It's a fish only tank....

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pick my feed up from the main return line and dump it back into my primary filtration tank. That way, the UV filter is getting the cleanest water in my system.

OP
OP
C

Cuong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so tee into the return line and dump back into skimmer side is what you're saying..... I'm trying to keep pumps to a minimum with the lack of space in the sump. I bought the tank with a Reef Octopus 225. Really big skimmer, but perfect for my intended stock-list. Unfortunately it takes up all the real estate in the tiny sump. I know that running an independent pump would be ideal. But with the space-limitations, and having to add a reactor pump, I can't see how everything is going to fit. Tee-ing into a line is the only way to make it all work.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the advantages of teeing into the return is that, after adjusting it to serve the UV filter, you are able to maintain a constant volume and pressure. This is because there isn't any reason to shut down flow to the UV filter - except for the occasional cleaning. The other advantage is that you are sending the cleanest water in your system thru the filter, thereby reducing dirt buildup.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine tee'd off the return pump at first, but it was so cluttered in the stand I eventually just took it out. A few months ago because of a dino outbreak I wanted to put the UV back. What I did was find a canister filter with a flow rate I needed for my UV and run it off of that outside the stand. I have it set up so the canister is pulling the water from the DT and returning it to the drain section in the sump. The UV is on a timer to run when the lights are off and the dino is in the free floating stage and in the water colmun. I don't run any media in the canister besides just some filter fiber to help keep the UV clean which I change out every couple of weeks.
Two weeks after the UV was hooked up the dino's disappeared and have been gone 2 months later, can't say it was the UV alone because there could have been other factors. The canister set up makes it very easy for me to take the UV off line clean and put back instead of how it was before when everything was crammed into the stand.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back