UV Steralizer

garyhutchinson

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
5
Location
Orange Beach
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of adding a UV Sterilizer to our new Red Sea G2-850 (180 Gallon) tank that has two Reef Run 700 return pumps (Max 1900 gph). Looks like the Aqua 57 Watt is the one to install (minimum flow is 1066gph and the maximum is 3200gph) Just curious how most people install? Do I "T" it into one pump and just use a flow meter inline to tweak? OR, do I add another pump just for the sterilizer? If I run a separate pump, where should I pull suction from and then return to? Also, any input on appropriate flow rate? Lots of unanswered questions but hey, I'm learning. Thanks in advance for all the help, it's very much appreciated.
 
From my experience, run a separate pump. Remember that flow rate will slow down over time as the pump gets clogged. Removing one pump to clean can make things easier. Also much easier to tweak. I run mine on a timer 4-5 hours a night so that I don’t kill everything off.
I run mine to kill off flukes that bother my blue tang.
I pull water from my center sump and it goes to a remote Refugium.
Why do you feel like you need UV?
 
From my experience, run a separate pump. Remember that flow rate will slow down over time as the pump gets clogged. Removing one pump to clean can make things easier. Also much easier to tweak. I run mine on a timer 4-5 hours a night so that I don’t kill everything off.
I run mine to kill off flukes that bother my blue tang.
I pull water from my center sump and it goes to a remote Refugium.
Why do you feel like you need UV?
Thanks for the reply, much appreciate.

I was thinking to run a UV as an ounce of prevention......just to be safe
 
Via the main return pump, I have mine on a manifold with gate (flow) and ball valves (maintenance).
 
I’d prefer that UV to maximize performance.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new