UV Steriliser in a nano tank

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a kent Marine 20G Nano tank that has been running for approx 6 months now.
In the back it's got 4 chambers - I got a skimmer in the 1st one that's running without the cap for bubbles only (helps me stabilise ph), filter floss and filter media in the second and third and a heater and a pump in the 4th one.
I've been thinking to add a UV steriliser to the mix.

I want to avoid adding any external plumbing. I am thinking about putting the UV light in one of the chambers.

Can you please tell me what are the risks involved in adding a UV steriliser? Can it have any ill effects?
Obviously, I will add it into a compartment without any filter media.

The manufacturer claims the pump is doing 1000L / h which is approx 260 US Gal / hour
I think that is too much flow for any UV lamp to have an effect, correct?

5obz3Mw.jpg

Thanks!

mccune

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the innovative marine drop in UV sterilizer in the rear of my waterbox 20.
It is all one unit with a small pump on the bottom that drives the water through it. I think it helps with water clarity for the most part. I can’t really say about fish health as I only have my pair of Picasso’s in the tank that I have had for 4 years now.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no real down sides to using a UV apart from the cost, but you need to have the correct flow rate otherwise your just wasting your time as it won’t do anything

On the pump, you should be able to turn it down as 1000 lph does seem a lot and in a system of that size you would probably only need it to be very slow, but you would also need to balance this against potential temperature increases because of the volume of water. The UV instructions should confirm the flow rate

I use a big 80w DD UVC and the flow rate is around 1400 lph for maximum killing effect (50% of recommended maximum flow rate) just to give you an idea and that’s in my big tank.

OP
OP
Simsung

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the innovative marine drop in UV sterilizer in the rear of my waterbox 20.
It is all one unit with a small pump on the bottom that drives the water through it. I think it helps with water clarity for the most part. I can’t really say about fish health as I only have my pair of Picasso’s in the tank that I have had for 4 years now.
Is it one like this?

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it one like this?

When we had our nano tank set up, this is the UV we used.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it one like this?

That’s the one I was looking at, I don’t think it’s the one he was referring too as this one is gravity fed, which is probably better as the flow will be more suited to your tank and quieter in a nano.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is, why do you think
you need one?

adding in or changing anything can upset a fine balance. Unless there is a problem that UV will fix then it’s an outlay, cost of running, additional maintenance and the risk you killing the good stuff in the tank and leaving the less desirable alone due to often being larger or better protected against weaker UV aka protists.
As they say - if it’s not broke don’t fix it.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and general rule of thumb. 300-500 litres per hour depending on model for UV. The slower the better to increase contact time.

OP
OP
Simsung

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is, why do you think
you need one?

adding in or changing anything can upset a fine balance. Unless there is a problem that UV will fix then it’s an outlay, cost of running, additional maintenance and the risk you killing the good stuff in the tank and leaving the less desirable alone due to often being larger or better protected against weaker UV aka protists.
As they say - if it’s not broke don’t fix it.
Fair point.

I am thinking to install it as a preventative measure for nuisance algae and water clarity

So far I have not had any major issues other than a short battle with brown hair algae which I seem to be winning by feeding less :rolleyes:

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decent activated carbon such as ROX 0.4 mixed with a cheaper carbon should assist with water clarity. Change out six weekly and should be good to go.

unless your algae is taking over I’d leave it be. Offers food source for desirable tank inhabitants.
Cleaner tanks are not always the best ones.
The real undesirable stuff tends to introduce itself when tanks are too clean/sterile.
Sounds nonsense I know but I’m coming from experience fighting these plagues.

OP
OP
Simsung

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decent activated carbon such as ROX 0.4 mixed with a cheaper carbon should assist with water clarity. Change out six weekly and should be good to go.

unless your algae is taking over I’d leave it be. Offers food source for desirable tank inhabitants.
Cleaner tanks are not always the best ones.
The real undesirable stuff tends to introduce itself when tanks are too clean/sterile.
Sounds nonsense I know but I’m coming from experience fighting these plagues.
I'm dosing iodine, would it not remove it from the water column?

I agree with you though, I will not be installing a UV light if there's no need for it. Don't want to knock anything out of balance as currently, it seems everything is going well without much effort.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iodine will be fine. Doesn’t bind well to carbon. This is another additive which the jury is out on mind. Sorry don’t want to sound as though I’m telling you how to run your reef

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing iodine, would it not remove it from the water column?

I agree with you though, I will not be installing a UV light if there's no need for it. Don't want to knock anything out of balance as currently, it seems everything is going well without much effort.
It's not going to knock anything out of balance and will have no effect on good bacteria.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes selective UV

Again don’t let me tell you how to run your reef. Just be careful with changes when things are going fine.

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’m looking at getting the innovative marine drop in UV as well for my waterbox 20 cube. My question is how often do you clean it? Thanks

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’m looking at getting the innovative marine drop in UV as well for my waterbox 20 cube. My question is how often do you clean it? Thanks

same as any equipment when it needs it, there is a space for floss on the top so it will only need the odd wipe with a cloth.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if you should run your UV on 24/7 on nano tanks? I know that for larger systems the consensus is 24/7, but I couldn't find any answers for the smaller systems with UV. I have a 12.5 gallon with the Coralife 5 watt mini installed. Thanks

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if you should run your UV on 24/7 on nano tanks? I know that for larger systems the consensus is 24/7, but I couldn't find any answers for the smaller systems with UV. I have a 12.5 gallon with the Coralife 5 watt mini installed. Thanks

For any tank it’s a matter of personal choice, some believe 24/7 some believe to use only when there is an issue.

For a nano, if you have the room and doesn’t mean taking up space you need for other media I would do what you feel is best.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask you if you turn it off and on, say a schedule of running during the night only 12am-6am everyday. Would that prematurely wear out the bulb? I know you must change it every 6 months. But was just seeing if that would cause it to loose more life because of the off /on of the unit?

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 75 53.2%
  • NO

Votes: 43 30.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back