UV Sterilizer - Alibaba???

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience buying a UV sterilizer on Alibaba? I need something cheaper than the expensive name brands, but good quality. Live in Central Asia so my options are limited. Recommendations anyone?

500 liter DT + 100 liter sump.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience buying a UV sterilizer on Alibaba? I need something cheaper than the expensive name brands, but good quality. Live in Central Asia so my options are limited. Recommendations anyone?

500 liter DT + 100 liter sump.
You get what you pay for. I did research on UV sterilizer before I bought my pentair sterilizer yes it was expensive but I didn't want to waste my money on something that didn't work. Also get one that is for your size tank small ones don't work, cheep ones don't work. Look on UTUBE for video from bulk reef supply on uv sterilizers and it will give you the info you are looking for.lots of information on that video. Hope you find what your looking for

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a uv off amazon prime its 20watts it works great for. a nano tank. It does work because the uv kills everything that its exposed to . you will want to place it in the sump or a place where there s no livestock. I paid $20 bucks for the uv an I've replace it once in one year . it does work.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I brought a uv off amazon prime its 20watts it works great for. a nano tank. It does work because the uv kills everything that its exposed to . you will want to place it in the sump or a place where there s no livestock. I paid $20 bucks for the uv an I've replace it once in one year . it does work.

Don't tell me you have an exposed bulb blasting UV at your sump?

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a expose bulb no issues what so ever over 1year running. I do have the uv set up on a timer and it goes on and off every 40 mins or so through the day. the uv has helped me with unwanted algae s and also I believe fish disease for sure the unwanted algae is being killed off. people don't believe the scare tactics that people use if you never done it yourself then don't talk **** my 2 cents . thanks

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get what you pay for. I did research on UV sterilizer before I bought my pentair sterilizer yes it was expensive but I didn't want to waste my money on something that didn't work. Also get one that is for your size tank small ones don't work, cheep ones don't work. Look on UTUBE for video from bulk reef supply on uv sterilizers and it will give you the info you are looking for.lots of information on that video. Hope you find what your looking for
I absolutely agree with you...in this case, my purpose isn't to have a 24/7 UV sterilizer. I just want it for controlling ice outbreaks that may come up from time to time, so I don't need something really expensive. It needs to work a few weeks a year maximum...which makes it hard to justify something very expensive.

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious: why is that a problem? Exposed bulb? My tank was purchased already set up with livestock. Someone had an exposed bulb sitting in the sump. I removed it after a couple weeks because I had doubts if that was a good idea. Healthy? Just a hunch though. Can you give more details as to WHY this isn't a good idea? Scientifically. Health-wise.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your tank? I had great luck with this in my freshwater tank. My reef tank is my main tank so I have more expensive equipment on it, but for a budget UV sterilizer, this thing worked great.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I do have a expose bulb no issues what so ever over 1year running. I do have the uv set up on a timer and it goes on and off every 40 mins or so through the day. the uv has helped me with unwanted algae s and also I believe fish disease for sure the unwanted algae is being killed off. people don't believe the scare tactics that people use if you never done it yourself then don't talk **** my 2 cents . thanks

Oh lord, have fun with your setup. Perhaps different science applies to you than the one commonly known.

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious: why is that a problem? Exposed bulb? My tank was purchased already set up with livestock. Someone had an exposed bulb sitting in the sump. I removed it after a couple weeks because I had doubts if that was a good idea. Healthy? Just a hunch though. Can you give more details as to WHY this isn't a good idea? Scientifically. Health-wise.
exposed uv kills fish . so u will want to place the uv in a sump or where the fish can't get close to the uv

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Just google eye/skin exposure to UV bulb.

Not to mention that it will pretty much destroy all plastics around the sump.

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just google eye/skin exposure to UV bulb.

Not to mention that it will pretty much destroy all plastics around the sump.
I noticed that when I bought the tank, the skimmer plastic was warped and 'cracked' on the surface a bit (on the side where the UV bulb had been). Another reason I removed it

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lord, have fun with your setup. Perhaps different science applies to you than the one commonly known.
like I said have had no issues you probably never tried so it so you don't know. I wouldn't put a fish in the sump with the uv tho. all im saying you guys believe these companies and spend a ton of money for the same exact Chinese made products . lol.

OP
OP
Reef GE

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like I said have had no issues you probably never tried so it so you don't know. I wouldn't put a fish in the sump with the uv tho. all im saying you guys believe these companies and spend a ton of money for the same exact Chinese made products . lol.
Thus the point of my original question: can anyone recommend a UV Chinese sterilizer that is nearly identical to the name brand guys. I worked in outsourcing vehicle parts for several years and know that much of the 'OEM' stuff is the same as off market.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B77D1687-2D49-4ABF-AE5C-65437546600E.gif

Lol! An exposed UV bulb dangling in a sump? Thats ridiculously unsafe and just plain dumb... its most likely a very ineffective UV unit if you haven’t gone blind yet...

hopefully nobody is dense enough to follow that advice

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I wasn't worried about your fish, I was worried about you and your family members.....but what do I know I bought an expensive/overpriced unit that was designed not to give me skin cancer and burn my retinas.

To each his own.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics! Pics!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back